OT: Batteries

Which is the reason I want it. I have a portable DAB that was going cheap, with the intention of using it while at work and walking to/from work - I can't bare the thought of a 30-45min walk without any radio. And as I always listen to TalkSport, the digital signal is significantly better than the medium wave of analogue models.

Incidentally, it has now decided to prove me totally wrong and has started working with this current set of rechargeables!!!

Reply to
Nel

They're pretty good, especially in D cell sizes. AAAs were unreliable IMHE (springing leaks after not many cycles) and I was never entirely sure of the AAs. However the price wasn't too bad, even for a short life. When my bike headlight had bulbs, not LEDs, I used to use them a lot for commuting.

used to be an interesting site by the rechargeable alkaline patent holder. They're simply the same as alkalines, but with extra purity of the electrodes. The same charger will recharge a stock alkaline, but only once or twice, and only from half-discharged.

Duracells are infamous for having a high internal resistance. They last so long simply because they're stingy at letting the Joules escape.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I guess you could go back and make up for it ?

I love winding up Yanks with the fact than an inch is now _defined_ as

25.4mm and they've abandoned the old separate length standard.
Reply to
Andy Dingley

It's a Ferguson FRG810D, got it half price. The battery compartment is VERY tight, so maybe that has something to with it.

Reply to
Nel

Yes. Everyone seems to deride it as it's not as good as FM for absolute sound quality - if you have a good FM aerial.

But it allows a vast choice of stations and sounds far better than AM.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yebbut... a DAB radio gets through batteries very quickly. Which is why, for our bathroom, we chucked out the DAB radio and bought a nice Roberts FM model. The Roberts cost less than we got for DAB radio on eBay, has better sound (despite what you say about "invariably ... sounds much worse"), lower power consumption, and has a "sleep" (timed off) feature to eke the batteries out even longer.

The only problem is it can't get digital-only stations. :-(

Reply to
Mike Barnes

High current appliances trash alkaline batteries. Alkaline batteries do not like high current applications and prematurely exhaust themselves. NiMH batteries are much better in this respect and will come close to their rated capacity, even at high current draws.

Thus, had you tried 2Ah NiMH batteries, you may have found the DAB radio more practical.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I suspect that you may be suffering from my diagnosis of the problem then, batteries not making proper contact - and rechargeables often seem less able to make proper contact than non-recrageable.

Reply to
usenet

If you can hear it at all. Try driving the M74, or visiting almost anywhere northwest of Scotland's central belt, with DAB kit.

Reply to
Sam Nelson

Most wouldn't use a battery portable in a car these days. ;-) And have you actually got a DAB car radio that only does DAB?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Nel" wrote in news:4281ff50$0$61918$ snipped-for-privacy@authen.white.readfreenews.net:

I thought it was usually chicks did that

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Perhaps the ones you go out with. ;-)

Real ones go 'cheep'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Duracells ~ 1.5v fully charged, rechargeables ~ 1.2v fully charged?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They are not so much rechargeable as 'depolarisable over a few cycles'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

I'm not sure.... , I really can't remember

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Very odd. Rechargeables give about 1.2 Volts as opposed to 1.5. However, after a little use, non-rechargeable batteries drop to around 1.2 Volts anyway when on load so there should be no difference. Your receiver could be faulty.

NiMH cells are best. Very high capacity. I run my pocket memo recorder off AAA cells that give 600mA/Hr.

Nemo

Electronic Engineer since the age of nine!

Reply to
nemo

Also a DAB receiver usually has a switchmode convertor off the batteries anyway to drag all the juice out so any old battery should do. Current consumption isn't high either.

Reply to
Mike