OT: Barbecue TV advert

-)

And, somehow, against all the odds and without the protection of FSA and DEFRA (sorry) and the like, we survived! We did, however, have the nit nurse.

Amazing, innit!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 22:56:47 +0100, "Mary Fisher" had this to say:

Only yesterday I noticed a market stallholder serving some sort of loose "food"stuffs, wearing polythene gloves, but handling cash with the same gloves on...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 22:58:31 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote (in article ):

Ah yes. Nitty Nora, the flea explorer.

Reply to
Andy Hall

|The message |from "Mary Fisher" contains these words: | |> But if the slicer's anywhere near a customer The Authorities will be asking |> questions. | |I saw a bloke in Asda's deli today empty the bins, then wash his hands |really thoroughly, then dry them /and/ use the foot pedal to open the |bin to drop the paper towel in. Magic. Mentioned it to Customer Services |'cos it was so unusual.

That is what the rules say he should do :-) Leeds ATM has an outbreak of E-Coli 0157, 21 persons at he last count, which may well have been caused by someone not obeying some rule.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

The message from Dave Fawthrop contains these words:

I know - but it was that he did it that wasn't.

Reply to
Guy King

I've read that sentence several times and still can't understand it :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Funny thing is I do not recall a nit problem at primary school. My fair haired grand daughter has had a number of problems since being at school.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Things are different now. Lice are far more common. This is because they are entirely immune to all the commonly used insecticides, so the only way of keeping them at bay is spending a hour combing every couple of days. Lots of the chavvier parents don't bother, so the schools are rife.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

We rarely had them - probably because they were nipped in the bud, as it were, because of the ministrations of the nit nurse - who also did immunisations and weighed and measured us. Officially she was the School Nurse and had a permanent clinic at our school but the alliteration stuck.

I believe that headlice are much more common these days, almost routine. Our grandchildren in Wiltshire have frequent visitations, the Leeds ones less so.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The best way, we're advised, is to comb after using hair conditioner, which reduces the 'grip' of both eggs and adults. You don't need to do it often. A couple of years ago we somehow acquired visitors and used Neen, which was amazingly effective.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Absolutely, although it is more about immobilising the adults so they don't scamper out of the way, or crawl off the comb before they can be disposed of.

You do when you have young daughters with long hair and a compulsion to touch heads with their entire class.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Indeed but you also need to get rid of the eggs.

Not every two days!

Unless you and they enjoy it of course ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I'd never seen one till my kids got to school. Nor had I (and still haven't) seen a nitnurse.

Reply to
Guy King

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 13:50:36 +0100, Guy King wrote (in article ):

You wouldn't want to. They only had to *look* at the nits and they would shrivel. Insecticide was never required.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I don't think schools have clinics any more. They cost money.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

They have them, but they're too busy handing out condoms to worry about headlice.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Birth control for headlice. Now there's a thought :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What about a steak sandwich? Best of both worlds.

All you need is a 99p 'pointy mallet' from somewhere like Wilkos, no need for all that mincing :)

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

In message , Pete C writes

I didn't know that the way you walk makes any difference to whether they will sell you things.

Reply to
Peter Twydell