OT Bank charge, is this reasonable?

I have three accounts and one credit card account all with the same bank, which I have been with for >30 years.
A savings account with 20K, a debit account with 10K and another savings account with 8K in and the credit card. I don't have an overdraft facility on any account, I really don't need it.
I opened another savings account with different bank, with a cheque drawn on the debit account, transferring an extra 10K into that account in readiness for it. At the instant the cheque was presented due to a small error on my part, that debit card account was 40p short of the 10K and the cheque was bounced. It was 40p short of meeting the cheque of 10K for just two days.
I have now been presented with a bill from my bank for 35 for refusing the cheque. No phone call from my bank, just an online bill.
Should I be fighting this 35 charge?
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

If you give them a ring I am 99% certain they will reconsider the charge.

Oh definitely, robbing bar stewards, the excess charges complaint that went to the ombudsman is in abeyance at the moment so the banks are charging as much as they can (cynical moi?) I would, if possible go into the branch and argue it face to face, I think they will probably refund "on this ocasion" If you are with HBOS there will be another 35 for even thinking of going over your agreed limit! I had a fight last month over something very similar money paid in but not shown, charges, and then the next day money shows as having been paid in on time! when I queried the charges and showed them a print out of the online statement, reply " online banking is as accurate ... as it can be!" f+%^*ing banks, mind ewe they did refund.....
Des

I would - you've obviously been a good customer having had 10k deposited with them, and to charge 35 for a one-off mistake for the princely sum of 40p is taking the pi$$.
I'd call their customer services, and if they argue the toss, i'd start being awkward back - first point out that you'll be closing all your accounts, and secondly that you'll be doing a Subject Access Request which will cost you 10 (at most) but you want copies of all data the bank hold on you - in either written, electronic, spoken (voice recordings of calls) and security camera footage.
Just to make life more interesting, visit a few different branches and give them the dates to make their life harder, but point out that you know you were there on those dates.
THEN tell them you're going to the Ombudsman and small claims court to fight the cost, and for them to bring a full breakdown of their costs and charges they allegedly incurred for this 40p misdemeanor.
Colin Wilson brought next idea :

Actually 38K in total lodged with that particular bank.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Either way, you haven't been taking the pi$$ and living off an overdraft !

That's nothing, but it still doesn't excuse you not taking notice of the terms and conditions YOU agreed to.
Ian wrote:

Reminds me of a conversation at my branch when I opened a savings account at my bank last year:
"Can I set it up so money will automatically be transferred if my current account goes below x or looks like it's heading for the red?" "No, not now it's all centrally computerised. We used to be able to, back when we had branch managers in charge."
Yet they can program the computers to charge 35 and send you a letter for going 40p in the red...
Martin.
Martin Crossley used his keyboard to write :

It didn't actually go in the red, there was just insufficient funds to cover the cheque. All sorted out now...
I walked into the bank with attitude and ready to close my accounts. The 'as a gesture of good will...' refunded the 35 charge - without need to go so far as threatening to close my accounts. The Halifax BTW.
Thanks for the help.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

You did better than I did. Had a disagreement with Halifax over a visa card. I was due a refund because an item never turned up, and the Halifax point blank refused to give me the refund, said I HAD to take it up with the supplier, who was ignoring me. When I finally got it sorted with the supplier, after a very long time, I complained as high up the Halifax chain as I could, and got told that basically they didn`t care. I explained that I spent 40k per year on the credit card, and I was taking it elsewhere, and they soon tried to apologise.
And no that isn`t a typo, I do regularly spend that kind of money on a credit card - lots of friends ad relatives who are too scared of the internet to order online, so I do it for them :-)
Simon Finnigan wrote:

I had a similar problem with the Halifax, going accidentally overdrawn by a couple of pounds for a few days and they hit me with outrageous costs and charges. I phoned customer services and they said they could not do anything about it blah blah blah, so I told him I wanted to close my account. He spoke to someone else and said they would refund the charges. Problem solved.
--
David in Normandy. snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.fr
David in Normandy wrote:

I originate from Halifax so naturally banked with them as do most people from there. Wanted to draw out a large amount of cash and was told that I had to give 3 days notice (this was in the early 70's) I found them really arrogant and closed my account there and then and moved to Natwest. Been no problem with them, on the odd occasions I have incurred charges a quick phone call gets it dropped, mind you nowadays all my banking is done on-line so I keep a regular check on it. I am of the mindset that if a bank tries to rip me off there is no second chance, I will walk.
--
Corporal Jones
"I don't like it up me"
On 23/10/2008 19:49 David in Normandy wrote:

Yorkshire Bank charged me 20 for going overdrawn though an error of their making. I went into the branch, asked for the Manager, and told her it was their mistake and, as they thought 20 for such an error was reasonable, then I was charging them the same.
Came away with the charge cancelled and a 20 credit on the account.

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 17:09:50 +0100, "Simon Finnigan"

WTF is all this stuff about "too scared of the Internet to order online" Do they stay in the house because they might get run down crossing the road. .Tell them to get a grip and grow up. :-)

Are you crazy? Would YOU say no to spending a fair proportion of that 40k through Quidco, and earning the interest on it between the day they give me the money and the day I have to pay the credit card bill? There`s a bloody good reason I`m not forcing them to do it themselves :-)

I did well out of the intervention of the Financial Services Ombudsman.
About five months after the event, I discovered that there had been a couple of fraudulent transactions on my Shell Visa Card. Someone in Bedford had been supplied with a bicycle by a Southampton company (300) and there had been a London congestion charge paid. Technically I was outwith the time limit for challenging a charge. The bicycle supplier had the "name" and address of the individual who had been supplied with the bicycle (without any check with me, as to whether it was genuine) but Bedford's finest porkers weren't in the least interested and told me to get lost. Citigroup's many minions in India told me much the same over a period of months. Shell were no help. However -- to my surprise -- The FSO not only took up the case and got the whole amount refunded together with a 50 goodwill gesture. Full marks to the FSO! Annual spend on that card is about 15000, which includes a vast amount of work-related expenses and expenditure which get refunded to me.
Ian wrote:

Nor in a reasonably free market, does it excuse them taking excessive advantage of it.
The choice is quite simple: if you end up with a bank that wants to play by their sets of rules, that is their prerogative.
If you choose to withdraw your money on that account, and place it somewhere else, that is yours.
Pointing this out to the bank, is sometimes helpful.

Problem is with banks is that their all as bad as each other in their own ways..
The good thing about mine is that its got a big car park there the only reason we're still with 'em;!...
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer wrote:

Standard advice to all businesses: change your shirt daily, your business plan every quarter, your coffee machine annually and your bank every three years.
tony sayer wrote:

Exactly.
When I opened my business acount a young girl went through a proceedure on her PC, asking me questions & ticking boxes. When it came to the "And why did you choose Llyods TSB"? I replied that it was the nearest bank to the car park.
She was completely confused :-) Obviously no tick box for that answer.
BTW. The collective noun for bankers is a 'wunch'.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk