OT: Automatics that have done a lot of towing

How do you know that?

What have you been smoking? Tim isn?t that unusual a name in this group. Methinks you are confused.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Had one of them, know why they made the change they did, and understand it was a tradeoff. Rollses were ever behind the times when it came to technology - look at the brakes on the 50s ones. But hey, keep on with your childish posturing. Why do you do it?

Reply to
tabbypurr

I don't think he's confused, I know he is.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Or senile. It was *Brian* that was complaining about rattling helicopters.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Dave, D i m and Pammy. You'll never win an argument with any of them. Even attrition won't do it. None of them are employable so have all the time in the world to just keep trolling in the sure and certain knowledge that at some point their interlocutor will have to give up and go earn a crust.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Yeh but how many RR owners towed caravans?

Reply to
bert

No, I never towed with it. Don't know how they did it but it worked - well I eventually had to have it stripped and reconditioned even though I'd changed the engine oil religiously on time. I lost reverse and one forward gear. Can't remember which now but it was one failure common to both.

Reply to
bert

I'd ask why you made that rediculous comment about Rolls in the first place. Only possible explanation is you simply didn't know they changed from a four speed to three speed box in the late 60s.

Nor, it would seem, do you undertsand just why BMC used that four speed AP box in their 'Mini' design range - given they used BW 3 speed elsewhere, both before and afterwards.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

you're wasting too much of my time.

Reply to
tabbypurr

The 1800 - although in manual form the same sort of combined engine and gearbox - used an ordinary B-W 3 speed auto, with separate oils. The AP box for the Mini wasn't strong enough for the larger engine.

It was never the strongest of boxes. Hence disappearing with the Mini.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A few ...

Andrew

Thanks for wasting your time informing us of this. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)