OT android P

Is google taking the P by having a monochrome mode so you aren't affected by blue light before you go to bed? Do they know that the white is R+G+B and that B stands for Blue?

Reply to
dennis

doesn't that depend on what you mean or rather they mean by monochrome.

perhaps they are just trying to copy apples night mode.

which goes red .

perhaps if anyone has a google phone they could let us know.

Reply to
whisky-dave

If they alter it to warm white colour temperature that will probably be good enough to avoid the worst effects of blue light on the brain.

Plenty of star chart apps have a night mode where "monochrome" actually means various intensities of red which doesn't affect night vision.

Martin Brown

The value of red torches to astronomers is well known. I am less convinced by the currently fashionable "blue stops you sleeping" argument. Although deliberately "warming" the screen colours both simulates the colour of twilight and opens the iris, so could provide genuine physiological triggers for sleep.

Reply to
newshound

But I;ve seen test that prove it or rather support it. The use of proper SAD lighting uses blue.

Someone run an expeiment in a pub on differnt night they used differnt colour lighting. Asking peole what they thought the efect would be and it was that red light would make you feel more thirty as you'd think you were hotter. But what they foudn was peole stayed much longer upto an hour if the light was blue, blue light does have more energy than the same amount of red light.

but as people are differnt a friend of mione last night got up at 11:30am yesterday while I was up at 7:30am By 1am he was falling asleep I was checking facxebook, we had the same lighting.

Maybe yuo should try it on yourself.

and doing the oppersite should.....

whisky-dave

They are only Doing what Apple are doing. What I don't get is Androids tendency to calling things colours. I heard the other day that things are going to be colour graded. A lot of use to the blind. Does anyone know what the p stands for?

Popcicle? Potato Pie? popcorn? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

So why is radar green? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The problem needs to be licked for us blind folk who get visual disturbances. I can be dazzled in the night merely by noise from the defunct retina or optic nerve, a kind of visual tinnitus. Its one of those problems we have that no doctors has ever seen, as for obvious reasons, only we see it. I was almost arrested once for having pupils that dilate and go back to normal for no apparent reason, the guy thought I had taken a dodgy substance you see! I of course was unaware of the pupil issue, but thinking about it if the brain thinks you are dazzled it would be a reflex action. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's not. 50 years ago with CRTs it may have been displayed as green for the same reason that early word processors used green screens.

Reply to
alan_m

ready availability of high output green phosphors

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Somewhere buried at the back of my mind the display colour of early CRT screens depended on the manufacturer of the glass. German or British.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It was the phosphor, not the glass.

Reply to
John Angus

After watching a bit of the blue stuff on my phone just after going to bed I often go to sleep very quickly after watching it.

Reply to
ARW

Pie.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It was just the use of a very long persistence phosphor required for oscilloscope CRTs which then found its way into the early PPI radar display tubes. I think the fact that the phosphor chosen happened to be green in colour was secondary to its more desirable property of long persistence.

There may have been other colours of long persistence phosphors available but I suspect the green one was probably deemed the best overall choice at that time, over 70 years ago (at least by British and American manufacturers - the Germans may have chosen another colour of long persistence phosphor but that doesn't address Brian's question).

Reply to
Johnny B Good

According to a review on YouTube it's just 'Pie'.

Reply to
The Other John

entirely different reasons.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

that was still very much true in the 80s. Some CRTs had a positively odd gamut. I don't think it was due to the glass but not sure on that point.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I know it wasn?t because I was buying them then.

Reply to
John Angus

There were certainly some long persistence orange glow phosphor screen oscilloscopes available in the dim and distant past. Some also had an illuminated dot of s different colour - useful for radar. See:

The problem was that although pure green and red were easy to do the pure blue phosphors proved very elusive and was pale blue due to yellow impurities in the light produced. This was fixed by adding a trace of neodymium to the front screen to knock out the unwanted yellow.

Initially they over corrected leading to cartoon like real world colours as opposed to the pastel shades of the earlier "colour" sets. Early colour TV sets tended to go wrong a lot - and had a rather dangerous Xray emitting EHT stack at the back. Made hiring one cost effective unless you could do your own repairs.

Reply to
Martin Brown