OT: Android management

The question is "Who are _they_ and will the data be used to annoy me?".
Targeted advertising certainly just annoys me.
But what is worrying is that it seems quite difficult to find out what an individual phone is capable of doing and actually does.
For example, why does one of my phones seem to have a 2d accelerometer and the other a 3D one? How do I find out if the 2D one is actually a broken 3D one? Another example, Before buying some vehicle diagnostic software for use on a smartphone, I need to know exactly what version of Bluetooth each phone is using. I've not been able to do this. There may be an app that does dig out the info, but I haven't found it.
Before the launcher crashed, I'd been using the Termux terminal emulator to attempt communication with OBD2 vehicle stuff. I wonder if that could be used to run some Linux diagnostics on the phone internals (not that I know anything about Linux diagnostics!)
--
Bill

writes

See what the specs say it has.

Ditto.

That's my point. I can't find anything in the specs for either phone that says how it detects gravity, acceleration or whatever. That's why I'd like to be able to interrogate a phone fully to see what facilities it should be providing. On the subject of Bluetooth version, I have actually found that both phones are supposed to be (different versions of) BT 4.0, but most spec sheets just list Bluetooth with a tick beside it.
--
Bill

On Tuesday, 16 January 2018 22:59:04 UTC, Bill wrote:

You;d get that info from a parts list, but whether or not you;d get one is another matter. Most seem to use one form of accerleometer or another. They have specific properties and all of them might not be used. You refer to 2D and 3D, but they can go up to 9D well that's what we have here 9 degrees of freedom it is called. aCasmeras have started to employ 5D sensors for camera shake calculations.

For most people it doesn't matter too much.

On 16/01/2018 22:58, Bill wrote:

Have you tried gsmarena.com ?

Yes, gsmarena seems to be limited to major manufacturers.
Both phones I'm playing with seem to be related to Lenovo, and the Medion (Aldi) one is clearly made by Lenovo. I can't see anything related to either phone. Dig enough and the Medion has a Lenovo model number, but it's nowhere to be seen on any site I've found.
The diagnostics recommended for the old Rangie cost about ?400 and require a certain BT version, so for the moment I'm sticking to the 6 quid BMW (it's almost an overweight X5) diagnostics from China. I'd hate to be reduced to having to save up for an iPhone.
--
Bill

On 16/01/2018 22:58, Bill wrote:

Just go to the Play Store and search for "sensors". There are many apps that interrogate and report on the physical hardware.
--
Reentrant

On 17/01/2018 18:30, Reentrant wrote:

Sorry "Google Play". I still think of it as Play Store even though it changed name years ago.
--
Reentrant

I had already loaded 3 apps that purport to reveal sensor info. I've now installed another 2, one on each phone. Both say the accelerometer is an MTK v3, on one phone it responds in 3 directions, on the other, 2. A quick search for MTK v3 has only found a few developer's commands to check what it does, nothing much about what it should do.
It has all become a bit less important, as the screen rotation gradually came good over a period of over a day after the phone was reset to factory settings.
It would be nice to understand a bit more about this. If I were younger, I'd probably seek out a Mediatek website to try to understand the chipset functions, but this will just have to go into the when I have time bin.
--
Bill

On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 22:44:58 +0000

YALP store from the F-Droid repo. Bypasses all that nonsense.
--
Your grandeur passes, and your pageantry,
Your lordships pass, your kingdoms pass; and Time

You don't log in to Android. You log into your Google account.
PS: regarding the cut-down settings - in the latest version of Moto G there is an option to change from novice to expert mode (or similar). Can't remember exactly how, but Google should be aloe to verify if it is the same for your phone. There may also be an option in the "novice" setting to change to "expert" mode.

There is no novice vs expert mode on this cheap phone. I don't think I'd make novice grade anyway.
It's weird. My cut down Settings just gradually expanded into the full app. Everything worked except the auto screen rotation and I got as far as installing things to check the sensors.
These showed that this phone only responds to x and y sensors, not z. The other phone responds to all 3. But suddenly, after leaving the phone untouched, the screen rotation seems to have come good. The accelerometer still just shows x and y movement with z staying at a fixed value.
I'm going to soak test it for a few days.
--
Bill

On 09/01/2018 20:49, newshound wrote:

Turning off Wifi, GPS and bluetooth when the battery gets down to the last 5% seems a fairly standard default Android mobile behaviour - it extends useful battery life although talk time becomes very limited.
My MotoG4 definitely had the drop all other non phone connectivity when battery level reaches 5% behaviour from new and by default. YMMV
It shows as a sharp bend in the battery discharge curve extending the time it will survive on standby considerably until you try to use it.

You want one of the task manager or file manager programs to let you see what is actually running in the background. Otherwise you may be able to catch it when it next tries to update and/or asks for permissions.
Most well behaved programs have an icon somewhere.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown