OT: Amusing climate change article by Clive James

See ...
<https://www.thegwpf.com/clive-james-climate-alarmists-wont-admit-they-a re-wrong/>
... in which Clive James warns that despite the continuing evaporation of evidence for global warming and climate change, climate alarmists will not give up.
--
"I love the way that Microsoft follows standards.
In much the same manner as fish follow migrating caribou."
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Weaker still. The evidence is all around you.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

For what?
--
"Once you adopt the unix paradigm, the variants cease to be a problem - you
bitch, of course, but that's because bitching is fun, unlike M$ OS's, where
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 05/06/17 12:59, Bob Martin wrote:

Bless. Theres a man who lives indoors and believes eberything he reads
--
“Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of 
an airplane.”
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Like that for God, I assume you mean. "If you believe you will see the glory of God" (John 11:40), or climate change. Take your pick.
--

Chris

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 05/06/2017 12:59, Bob Martin wrote:

Do you mean the 2 miles of ice that used to cover Birmingham that has (in)conveniently melted ?.
Or that annoying flood that has turned Doggerland into the North Sea, thereby stopping people from walking across from Holland without a passport ?.
Or the additional 2 hectares of land that Sweden gains every year as their land mass rises up now the weight of ice has gone ?.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 6/5/2017 5:47 PM, Andrew wrote:

I often envisage an unfortunate Neanderthal lamenting the global warming that was causing them to be over-run by an aggressive invasive alien species.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload


If that happens often, you should lay off so much of the whacky weed etc.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 05/06/2017 12:45, Tim Streater wrote:

Its not called climate change any more - it's now being called climate disruption.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 05/06/2017 12:45, Tim Streater wrote:

Clive does write a lot of words
I think I can sum up the article more succinctly.
Firstly Clive presents his bona fides : "I speak as one who knows nothing about the mathematics involved in modelling non-linear systems."
He then demonstrate what appears to be a complete ignorance of logic too. The article appears to repeatedly use the logic that because idiots give false arguments in favour of AGW, AGW is proved false.
The bigger the idiot Clive uncovers the more sound his proof. To reach this groups reputed gold standard of "3 sigma" confidence he just needs to go to the town centre, find a retarded, wino tramp who supports AGW because it is "now a bit warmer than it was this morning" and ERGO, Bob's your uncle, as they say.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 6/5/2017 4:09 PM, Nick wrote:

"But I do know quite a lot about the mass media, and far too much about the abuse of language."

He points out that the same sorts of prophets of doom started more than 40 years ago, and their predictions have consistently failed to come true.
To my mind, that's a very good argument for looking closely at today's prophets.
Many years ago, I used to think you could rely on scientists. That's before I understood that the funding process automatically leads to bias.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The bottom line is that many of these people are not really proper scientists. As Clive says, quoting Feynman, if a fact doesn't fit your theory then you discard the theory. Unlike the Climategate fraudsters who were unwilling to release their data "in case it was used against them". Any scientist worth his salt will be quite happy to have his data and methodologies examined in detail.
--
"Once you adopt the unix paradigm, the variants cease to be a problem - you
bitch, of course, but that's because bitching is fun, unlike M$ OS's, where
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 6/5/2017 6:44 PM, Tim Streater wrote:

+1
There is a very interesting argument in here
(Amazon.com product link shortened)96742360&sr=1-1&keywords=the+armchair+economist
Chapter 22, "Was Einstein credible"
too long to summarise here, that government funding of research institutes provides a means to differentiate between "good" and "bad" scientists.
The rest of the book is not a bad read (although very "American"). It was a precursor to the "Freakonomics" books, and in a similar vein to Tim Harford.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

But the prophets have gotten a bit smarter. They don't give lifetime guarantees anymore.

--
bert

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tuesday, 6 June 2017 22:24:14 UTC+1, bert wrote:

I thought they did, isn't it 72 virgins if you die for the cause.
"Today is a good day to die", that's klingon or rather worf.
"As of this moment we are all dead, we go into battle to claim our lives this we do gladly for we are Gem'hadar, victory is life." Gem'Hadar
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 07/06/2017 10:49, whisky-dave wrote:

Is there no beginning to this thread's talents?
<https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/today_is_a_good_day_to_die
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

We're talking global warming prophets.

--
bert

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

And your argument is that therefore AGW is true?
--
"Please stop telling us what you feel. Please stop telling us what your
intuition is. Your intuitive feelings are of no interest whatsoever,
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 05/06/2017 18:46, Tim Streater wrote:

Sigh!
How could you conclude that from anything I wrote.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 05/06/17 23:56, Nick wrote:

So, lets get this straight. You wrote a bunch of sophistry to show that AGW wasn't false, and now you claim it isn't true either?
--
All political activity makes complete sense once the proposition that
all government is basically a self-legalising protection racket, is
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.