OT: Advice Needed Please

I have been given a Toshiba Satelite M40 laptop with XP Home Edition on it. It is working fine, but I would like to set it up as though it had just come from the factory.
I do not have any restore disks for it, but I have managed using a program on the laptop to create a drivers and tools disk.
The laptop has a COA on the bottom of it.
What I would like to know is this. Is it possible to use a standard XP Installation disk using the COA number on the bottom and then just install all the drivers from the disk I created.
I would like a proper restore disk really.
Any advice most welcome.
Kindest regards,
James
much like they were saying:

Sometimes yes, but rarely.
The key on the COA will indicate to the install that it's an OEM key, and usually that key will be rejected by a generic MS install CD. You'd need a Tosh OEM CD.
On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 13:16:35 +0000 (UTC), Adrian

My experience has been that any OEM XP disc will do ( other versions, such as retail etc. won't accept the COA key ) and that you'll probably have to call the registration line to get your final code ( possibly because OEM discs are linked to specific brands ).
Have you checked for a hidden restore partition on the laptop?
Regards,
http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
gurgled happily, sounding

Never even heard of that one Stephen. How would I go about finding it...,..
James
On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 15:29:03 +0100, "the_constructor"

<snip>
There are plenty of utilities that can examine the partition structure of your hard drive - but I'd recommend one that doesn't have the ability to make any changes ( just in case! ). Try Aida32 ( freeware ) http://majorgeeks.com/download181.html
It's a general system properties utility, quite handy to have anyway.
Install ( you can install to a usb key if you wish - and use it on any machine ) and run it and select the physical drive properties...it will show a list in this fashion:
#1    Unknown (Code: $78)        0 MB    15 MB #2 (Active)    NTFS    C:    22 MB    4001 MB #3    Unknown (Code: $17)        4023 MB    4001 MB #4    NTFS    D: (DOWNLOADS)    8025 MB    1004 MB #5    NTFS    E: (APPS)    9029 MB    5005 MB #6    NTFS    F: (STORE)    14034 MB    8002 MB #7    NTFS    G: (DATA)    22037 MB    5005 MB #8    NTFS    H: (MEDIA)    27043 MB    30188 MB
In my case partition #2 is showing as Active...in other words that's the partition I'm currently booted from ( C: ). #3 shows a hidden partition of 4Gb ( it's another OS installation ) and #1 shows a hidden partition of just 15Mb...which is a boot manager.
What you'll be hoping to see is a list showing at least one partition marked as Unknown, probably of around 2 to 5 Gb. This will most likely be the partition that contains a compressed 'image' of the original OS+drivers and software as supplied with the machine from new. The problem then is finding a copy of the 'recovery disk' that contains the program that restore the working partition from the hidden one ( in some case it's accessed by pressing a key on boot up ). Best bet in that instance would be to scour the various support forums related to your machine.
If you don't see any hidden partitions then you don't have a recovery partition.
By the by, I'd recommend getting hold of a disk imaging backup program....something from Paragon or Acronis will be ideal, and older but nonetheless fully functional versions often turn up on computer mag cover disks.
Regards,
http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

I'd be inclined to get a copy of a corporate / oem XP on CD from a trustworthy source. If you know anyone working in IT in a large organisation, they can probably lay their hands on one. You then use that with your COA key and you're away. There definately are branded CDs around though, as my Dell CD would go nowhere on a HP computer that had a valid COA on the top for XP and 2000...

That's the one that DIDN'T work with my A60
Doki wrote:

I work in a large organisation, but valid COA notwithstanding I still wouldn't be happy to lend out my employer's Windows discs to my mates.
Pete
the_constructor wrote:

Try <http://www.gennersales.co.uk/
--
Adrian C

I've got a Tosh Sat A60, and I couldn't get either of my normal XP installers to work properly on it for some reason - it'd just hang early in the installation.
My mate happened to have a copy of XP that worked on it though :-}