OT: A body dyrer (like a hair dryer but dries entire body after shower)

Hi.

Any ideas?

I was thinking of buying an 'air curtain' that they use in shops. So when I walk out the shower room I walk into a jet of warm air. I won't even need a towel or anything?

see

products

Comments / ideas please.

PS I know this is a dumb/random comment.

PPS I alreay know this thing may use up a lot of electricity.

Reply to
Chris.Holland16

Ever see Blade Runner? There was a similar idea to yours but incorporated into the shower.

Reply to
Matt

for products

Public convenience's are a good source for cheap air blowers...

1 pull and they come off the wall easy. :-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

never before have I laughed out loud at a reply to a post on a newsgroup.

Partly because I'm not sure if you're joking! .......hmm...I'm sure you are joking, but still funny..

Reply to
Chris.Holland16

I was thinking about a similar thing. Preliminary design was a small tank of water, heated to very hot. Then, when the shower is over, this is pumped through a heat exchanger, to heat the cubicle air to about 50C. The hard bit is that I guesstimated you'd need 5m/s airflow or so.

With a 1m^2 shower cubicle, this is about 7Kg/s, or for 30C delta-t, at 1000J/Kg, about 30*7*1000 = 210Kw. However, it's not quite this bad.

Ideally, you'd just stick a big heat exchanger in, and vent the air, but 210Kw radiators that'll fit in a 1m^2 space are fairly tall.

If you're only heating 5% of the air, and recycling the rest, then it gets lots more reasonable - only 10Kw.

I haven't done the numbers for air water capacity at various RH, and likely surface water after a shower, which would give you an idea of how much water you need to remove. It'd be really nice if it'd work as a hairdryer too, so you don't need to bother with any towels, just come out dry.

Oh, and the fan size is a problem - 5 cubic meters a second is fairly large.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

ISTM that hot air hand dryers have a much stronger air blast than hot air curtains. They also work at temperatures that are uncomfortable if your hands are dry. NHS Guidelines require that, where someone may become incapacitated (always a possibility when getting out of a shower) and be exposed to a hot surface for a prolonged time, that surface should not exceed 43C. I suspect that applying the same principle to an enveloping air curtain would mean that it takes a long time to dry you, so it would probably need to be on a timer for safety.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

The ones at centre parcs have hot air blowers and heat lamps to keep you warm while you dry.

It will feel very cold if you just use hot air.

You could use a couple (or more?) dehumidifiers to generate the warm air. It gets rid of the moisture too and the dry air will dry you quicker.

BTW why cross post it to uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.support.dyslexia Is this a troll?

Reply to
dennis

for products

================ You can experiment with the idea by using an ordinary pedestal fan in your bathroom. The air temperature isn't a problem since it's the same air all round but it feels a bit cooler because of the wind chill. This method used in conjunction with a towel is actually quite comfortable - I've been using it for years.

p.s. Be aware of the danger of electric shock, so take sensible precautions.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

You will also receive a quantity of free electricity to get you started.

Reply to
Adrian Tuddenham

just do a google.co.uk search on body dryer and you will get lots of custom-made products that are specifically designed for this purpose..... :)

Reply to
Mara Sheldon

Last time I was at Center Parcs, Longleat they had something like this in the swimming pool changing rooms. Not in the actual showers as such, but it was a kind of Star Trek looking contraption that you stood in to dry off, I believe.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Russell

Then it beamed you to your hut.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark A

Aquavale in Aylesbury also have one. =A31 a go, big enough for four people. It sort of works, too. Problem is, I doubt you're allowed to go in naked so you end up with a dry body but still wet trunks/costume.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 08:15:34 +0100, "nightjar" scrawled:

I used a dryer Yesterday that nearly took my hands off. It workede extremely well as a hand dryer, can't remember what it was called, exterminator, excruciator, ex...... something like that, it was big,

2.4kW rated and had a carbon fibre look label across the front.
Reply to
Lurch

/Executive villa/, not /hut/, if you please. ;-)

Paul

Reply to
Paul Russell

They had infra-red driers at Alton Towers for the wet rides when I was there in August.

Reply to
Jon B

There's lovely. Hi-de-hi!

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Andy.......don't be silly.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Myson have high level fan convector heaters:

can direct the hot air downwards. But the flow temperature of the water must be 80C.

Or a kickspace in the space under the bath:

are low voltage versions available just for this.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 09:37:32 +0100, Cicero wrote (in article ):

Yes. Once you've been electrocuted you tend to take sensible precautions to prevent it happening again.

Reply to
Gary