[OT] 99 Octane petrol

Quite the opposite. Higher octane fuels are able to take higher compression ratios without exploding.

Basically, a diesel engine works by compressing the mixture enough so that it could explode without a spark (it doesn't stick the fuel in until the compression's done for that reason). Diesel engines use high compression ratios (i.e. 20:1) to ensure that the fuel will definitely spontaneously burn when injected. They also prefer low octane fuel that will burn without encouragement, although with sufficient compression and a suitably designed fuel system, they will burn any old filth, including high octane petrols.

A petrol engine doesn't want the fuel will go off early. It wants the burn to start when the spark fires. To do this, you either have to reduce the compression ratio (8:1 or thereabouts) or use higher octane fuel that doesn't explode under pressure.

If you use a high octane fuel in a low compression engine, you're just wasting money, as neither the high octane nor the cheaper fuel would have exploded anyway, so you get no benefit whatsoever from the increased octane rating.

The octane rating of a fuel gives little indication of its energy content, except that most higher octane substances have lower energy content. This is especially true when oxygen containing compounds are introduced, as the oxygen can't be burnt, so is "wasted" mass. However, such compounds have truly excellent octane rating. Ethanol, for example, is 130 octane, but only contains something like 60% of the energy.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

One of the car shows on TV did a test and one car it made no difference at all, another it increased the max hp marginally and another it helped in the low-mid range but not in the high end. So it seems it's good for some cars and not for others. Tescos 99 stops my M3 from making horrible low rpm pinking noises.

Reply to
adder1969

Sigh.

Dave it is all to do with the stroke of the pistons and size of compression chamber. Believe me, it's factual!

Reply to
EricP

So would fixing the timing :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Combustion chamber, compression ratio, it's the crank that has a stroke not the piston ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

You'd certainly expect the knock sensors to do their job.

IIRC, the M series is among the few where super is recommended.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not in any of the many many technical publications on IC engines I've read over the many many years. ;-)

The stroke of the piston and the size of the combustion chamber determine the compression ratio. If you have too high a compression ratio for the octane of fuel used you'll have to compromise the performance and economy by retarding the ignition. This is to *prevent* the mixture exploding and causing pinking. If the octane rating is higher than required, absolutely nothing untoward occurs.

Basically you've got things the wrong way round. Too low an octane rating can damage an engine. Not the other way round.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from EricP contains these words:

Er - no. Higher octane is more resistant to detonation, allowing higher compression ratios, more advanced ignition timing and hotter engines.

Reply to
Guy King

If yours is a turbo then yes you will find a marked improvment in drivability and go. Volvo turbo's are renown for needing 98octane or more to give their best.

MPG should be better by a couple of mpg too, as long as your driving style is the same.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

That's the wrong way around, there's enough misinformation around already. You could say "it goes bang more predictably", I suppose. Your first sentence would be sort of more correct for lower octane fuels.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Heptane has an octane rating of 0 IIRC, so where does that leave the above peculiar statement?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

"The stroke of the pistons"... do you mean the swept volume, or what? Where does volumetric efficiency come into this, do you think?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Hm. "stroke", or "throw"?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

No they don't.

AOL.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

That's like saying of a circle "diameter or radius?"

Reply to
Rob Morley

That is unlikely. There is virtually no difference between them and they frequently come from the same tank.

Reply to
dennis

Of course they do. It's the volume of the cylinder and combustion chamber with the piston at BDC related to the volume with it at TDC.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I can't recall which mag did the work, but recently saw a quite detailed analysis following a batch of tests of different fuels. They compared supermarket petrol, against branded and also (IIRC) Shell optimax. They used three test vehicles; a Nissan Micra, a VW Golf GTI, and a Subaru Imprezza WRX. The test was well done using a dynomometer to assess power and torque delivery, and the tanks were correctly cleaned and the EMUs reset between tests.

The results were interesting - the main upshot however was that on the Micra the different (and more expensive) petrols made very little if any difference to either the performance or the drivability of the car. On the Golf there was some improvement in performance on the optimax (about

8 - 10 bhp IIRC) and a slight improvement in driveability. However on the Imprezza there was a quite substantial improvement in power (over 25 bhp) and driveability.

So what you say about there being no difference seems to stack up - but only on some types of car.

(Personally I find there is a discernable difference on my Subaru between 99 and 95 RON, and it runs like a dog on any supermarket offering I have tried)

Reply to
John Rumm

I have had good results from supermarket petrol but other times it feels like I just piled a few heavy bags of sand in the boot when I filled up. Also big name petrol at a price that sounds too good to true is usually a disaster. I really think there's something going one here, not all big name 95 petrol is the same and garages selling it really cheap must be mixing it with something else or selling something different to the label.

If your local supermarket petrol is reliably good, then fair enough, but round here they certainly aren't.

john2

Reply to
john2

- the "stroke of the piston" does not equal the volume. Your first statement is nothing like your 2nd.

Reply to
Chris Bacon