OT: 500ml 'e' <<< ?

Hi All,

My daughter has just done her GCSE DT exam and one of the questions was along the lines of

"what does the 'e' mean on (for example) a drinks bottle marked 500ml e "?

She didn't know, nor did a couple of mates she asked afterwards so maybe they were all away when they were taught about it?

I've had a quick Google and not found anything obvious so wondered if anyone here could help us please?

All the best ..

T i m

(my guess was that it indicates it's a European measure but I thought all metric measurements were pretty International. My second guess was 'estimated' .. )

Reply to
T i m

Fairly close a guess that, it is the stated weight within a certain tolerance.

Reply to
Me

It's a European "passport". Here you go:

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

"Pretty nearly".

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Andy Wade

"T i m" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

From the weights and measures Act:

The e-mark, when placed on a package, is a declaration by the packer that the contents comply with the average system Directives. As such, it acts as a metrological passport throughout the EEA, assuring free access, so far as metrological requirements are concerned, to all EEA markets. There is no requirement for packages to be labelled with the e-mark, which is entirely optional for the packer. But the Regulations prohibit its use on packages which do not meet certain criteria.The e-mark, when placed on a package, is a declaration by the packer that the contents comply with the average system Directives. As such, it acts as a metrological passport throughout the EEA, assuring free access, so far as metrological requirements are concerned, to all EEA markets. There is no requirement for packages to be labelled with the e-mark, which is entirely optional for the packer. But the Regulations prohibit its use on packages which do not meet certain criteria."The e-mark, when placed on a package, is a declaration by the packer that the contents comply with the average system Directives. As such, it acts as a metrological passport throughout the EEA, assuring free access, so far as metrological requirements are concerned, to all EEA markets. There is no requirement for packages to be labelled with the e-mark, which is entirely optional for the packer. But the Regulations prohibit its use on packages which do not meet certain criteria."

That's the mark itself. As for what it signifies:

"The Directives set out three Rules with which packers must comply: (a) that the actual contents of the packages should not be less, on average, than the nominal quantity; (b) that the proportion of packages which are short of the stated quantity by a defined amount (the "tolerable negative error" or TNE) should be less than a defined limit; and (c) that no package should be short by more than twice the TNE."

There is also a TNE table - for a 500ml package the TNE is 3%, or 15ml.

Couldn't find a table for the proportion mentioned in (b) above but that would be a few percent I guess.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Sorry, there appears to be a triple paste in there. Apologies for the repetition. Bloody CTRL+V and OE.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

The message from T i m contains these words:

I think it means it's a Euro approved size of package, BICBW. Washing powders, for example, are packed in standard sizes, to make it easier for customers to compare products. IIRC, washing powder pack sizes are about to change, too.

On a related note, does anyone know what a) daN means when talking about tensile strengths? Newtons I can understand, but what's the da prefix? b) What does CDU on Tescos shelf edge labels mean? It usually follows the description of the item, eg Water Pistol CDU.

Reply to
Guy King

I can't tell you exactly, but it means that the drinks bottle contains

500ml - not exactly, but within an acceptable variation. It's not as simple as an average, but is to do with maximum and minimum levels in the bottle and sampling on the production line. It does allow less than 500ml to be supplied to the consumer and not be short measure, but there are limits on how much less and how often.

Trading Standards would be the people to ask ('cos that's who came and gave us at college the lecture on the above).

Owain

Reply to
Owain

From memory: That they put 500 ml in.

There's also a rare and specialized marking "a" for lab glassware, meaning that if pour stuff out from the mark, 500ml will come out.

Ah, here, explains it better:

whether the ware is "To Contain" or "To Deliver" and is permanently marked "TC" or "TD". When the graduation line denotes the volume contained in the calibrated vessel, it is marked TC. The ware is marked TD when the graduation line indicates the volume delivered from the vessel. TD calibrated vessels are different from the TC calibrated vessels because of the drainage holdback error. For example, when the amount of water required to wet the inner surface of the vessel in contact with the water is added to the TC volume. The TD vessel then delivers the same volume as the contained volume in a TC vessel. The International Standards Organization designation for "To Contain" is "IN" and the "To Deliver" is "EX".

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

deka-Newton, or ten Newtons.

"Tensile strenght of this strap is 100 daN" means "about 100 kilos", or wot Mike here weighs, whereas a marking of 1000N could mean that it'll all fall off the lorry onto you because weight, mass and units thereof got mixed up.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I had always thought it was short for the French word "environs", which means "about" or "approximately"

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Hi all and thanks for all the replies (in both threads) ;-)

Had she ever been taught about such markings (or had we ever wondered what it meant ourselves) that would have been another couple of GCSE marks in the bag ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m