OT 35mm SLR camera

That's not entirely true. If you are doing your own processing then you can push or pull the film at the development stage to change the effective ISO (usually at the expense of changing contrast as well).

Reply to
John Rumm

You can be just as artistic with a digital camera, no, you can be more artistic with a digital camera as it will do all a film camera will do and some more. If you want a challenge take up painting or sketching you pictures 8-)

Most people don't ride a motorbike, most people are more sensible.

Reply to
dennis

yes, but that's an operation you carry out on the whole film, not just one shot.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But you have to do it to the whole film or cut it up without knowing exactly where you want to change the processing.

The point being that you can do it on individual pictures on digital.

Reply to
dennis

John Rumm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

I realise that and have done it - but for the whole film in all practicalities.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Tis true. Although with only 24 or 36 frames per film, its not unreasonable to rewind the current film and start another if you need to change ISO midway (be it with a different ISO film, or just with an intention of pushing the new film when you develop it)

Reply to
John Rumm

I used to like push processing, it gives great effects.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I have done that but I find it increases the chances of getting the emulsion scratched as it winds in to the canister more than once. Some of the last generation SLRs with high speed rewind are the worst.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Most people cannot:-

  1. Drive an F1 car
  2. Become PM (or President)
  3. Win any lottery
  4. Take really good photos, no matter how expensive the camera.
Reply to
Andrew

It amazes me how many times I see a photographer with a flash gun that is pointing almost vertically and using it outside! What is he bouncing off? How will having "Flash" selected affect the exposure?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I can see the point of teaching people to use a manual camera first, in order to understand the principles, but my relatively modern DSLR can be operated in fully manual mode, if that's what I want, although the lack of a split image rangefinder makes accurate focussing quite hard - especially with ageing eyes.

But all this faff about using film - its a very very flawed medium, hasn't got the dynamic range, its grainy, and you always have the wrong film in the camera.

Even the bollox about 'I cant print a black and white picture without it having a color cast' is utter bollocks. Use a black and white printer!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

been riding since I was 16 no accidents but I must say they are handy for spare parts like my new liver ...tee hee

Reply to
Jimbo in the near of Hawick ..

I was not necessarily even suggesting that one re-mounts the rewound film... Many auto rewind cameras have a habit of rewinding the film right back into the can which makes it harder to reload anyway.

(Although I do have a changing bag, and so could pop the end of the can if needs be to retrieve the leader)

Reply to
John Rumm

Ah! You're obviously not a pro! ;->

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Look up spill flash, he may actually know what he is doing, but without seeing it I can't tell.

Reply to
dennis

Certainly not.

I just liked taking pictures.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

dennis@home wrote in news:583b1654$0$36626$b1db1813$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Is that what I would call Bounce Flash? No ceiling outside!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Many years ago (about 28) while I was working in Fiji, I was driving around the Port area in Suva, the capital, when I noticed a tourist from the Canberra, which was moored in Port for the day.

He was wandering around the port area with his Leica binoculars around his neck.

I felt like yelling to him that the only birds he would see in that part of town were the ones with a big smile, who would spread their legs for a few dollars.

Reply to
Andrew
*Equivelant* !! The sensor captures the same view as a a 35 mm film camera with the given focal length.
Reply to
Graham.

!!!!!!!! *EQUIVALENT* !!!!!!!!

Reply to