Only one chance to drill tile

IME, lots people seem to have standards of sharpness rather below mine

Most cuts I've received have been using not as sharp as they could be knives, which IME experience are more likely to slip etc, rather than cut cleanly. The only cut our kids have received from knives (both using knives from about 3 to help prepare food) has been with someone elses not very sharp knife

So waste a whole draw on a few knives.

I much prefer knives on the wall in magnetic rack, easy to identify the knives and choose the right one, out of the way, but to hand, not cluttering up the work top etc. They don't get dirty or greasy as most gets used everyday

Reply to
chris French

Lot of good stuff about drilling...

Alternative: I'd use double-sided sticky tape, the thickish foam kind. Clean tiles and rack spotless and grease-free using a solvent. Stick in place, wait a few hours and done.

The thick foam tape will a) adapt to uneven tiles and b) give you a bit of clearance to run a knife blade or thin wire between rack an tiles when it needs to come off. This will cut the foam, and the adhesive bits left on the tiles will come off with solvent, leaving no holes.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

john eastwood ( snipped-for-privacy@mail.invalid) wibbled on Sunday 23 January

2011 10:51:

No - he was being crap. There's no reason for this.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:ihihsv$kt$4 @news.albasani.net:

The water also catches the dust and in my experience forms an abrasive slurry that helps the drilling process. As others have said, drill slowly applying little presure. Also I tend to use selotape rather than masking tape.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Not sure I *quite* agree: there was a reason for it, just no *excuse* :-)

Reply to
Tim Streater

You've not met my wife.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Skipweasel ( snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com) wibbled on Tuesday 25 January 2011

22:40:

Your real name is John Wayne Bobbit and I claim my £5.

Reply to
Tim Watts

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "john eastwood" saying something like:

I've drilled literally hundreds of holes in tiles like this... Take a 3" masonary nail and lightly tap it until it breaks the glaze, then set your ordinary masonary bit into the break and drill (non-hammer action). Works every time and no fecking about.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon