one for the builders...

The current barn project has reached the damp course stage with plenty of membrane *flopped* over the walls from under the concrete floor.

Is there a best way of bonding this to the plastic DPC ? In these earthquake aware days it seems a bit daft to have a nice slippery bit of plastic below the grippy surfacing of commercial DPC?

Cavity walling so only an issue on the inner wall.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

When the BCO examined the garage, he just recommended that the DPM overlap the DPC. The DPC had only been left at about 1" overlap by the original builders - and in fact, was level with the original floor - builder/BCO/et al commented that it was stupid.

Anyway - I talked to him about bonding then together, and he didn't deem it necessary. It was advised, however, to wrap DPM around to the top of the new wooden floor, trapping it under the new walling. I guess that DPC is really protecting brickwork (just about!), whilst DPM is protecting inner structure.

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

The usual method is to put an uneven bed of mortar underneath the membrane, that is to say, on top of the brick/blockwork, put some mortar along, but alternate it so that it's only at one egde or the other, or in the middle, but not a omplete bed, so that when it's gone off, the membrane is trapped and cannot slip. The same principle applies to bedding on the dpc.

My explanation is as clear as mud, but I had half a bottle of sambuca last nite, so I'll draw you a picture

Reply to
Phil L

Phil L

In message , Phil L writes

Ah. So take it right across the brick but arrange the mortar to trap the plastic in corrugations. Ta.

:-)

To think! The trouble I had on a previous job: making up a mortar gauge at 5mm depth to ensure the dpc was fully bedded and central to the course.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

No, corrugations are required, but not across the brick as the wall isn't going to move side to side, it's only ever going to move forwards and backwards, so you need the ridges at the inside and outside edges of the footing brickwork.

You often see brickwork that has 'slid' off the DPC, sometimes up to an inch, this is why. In the past, brickies used to just roll the dpc out onto the brickwork and start builkding

Reply to
Phil L

Looks to me like you've had a rather large curry as well as the sambucca...

Reply to
Lobster