http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2184030/Olympics-2012-If-Yorkshire-country-higher-medal-table-SA-Japan-Australia.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/9458578/Yorkshire-athletes-propel-Great-Britain-up-the-medal-table-at-London-2012-Olympics.html
--
Adam

Add pictures here
βœ–
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

--

Well of course, as God's county why be surprised!! OK I'm just a little
biased being an ex-pat Yorkshireman living 'darn Saf',mind it was the West
βœ–
On Aug 7, 6:58 pm, "Andrew Mawson"

But you don't have a national anthem You'll need a national anthem. Or is that "On Ilkla Moor baht 'at"?
And you'll also need a coat of arms - a shield, grey, supported by a ferret and a whippet, with pints and mushy peas, surmounted with a flat cap. With the motto "Eat all, sup all, pay nowt".
Surprisingly, during my research, I found this page on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Yorkshire
-- Halmyre
-- Halmyre
Add pictures here
βœ–

Dear me, Australia really is on its arse . . . .
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 19:09:21 +0100, fred wrote:

It just takes time for it to get up to speed.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
PeterC wrote:

:-)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19176735
1 min and 5 seconds into the video on that link.
--
Adam

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 22:08:14 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

Well, to be fair, the Aussies haven't had long to get the hang of the metric units and so on.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On 09/08/2012 07:10, PeterC wrote:

Oz has been fully metric for some years. It's something else.
Andy
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 07/08/2012 18:38 ARWadsworth wrote:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/comment/london-2012-yorkshire--the-county-thats-trouncing-australia-in-the-olympic-medal-table-8010174.html
Pity The Independent couldn't spell Lizzie Armitstead's name correctly: they missed the t before the s.
Southerners...

βœ–

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/comment/london-2012-yorkshire--the-county-thats-trouncing-australia-in-the-olympic-medal-table-8010174.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2184030/Olympics-2012-If-Yorkshire-country-higher-medal-table-SA-Japan-Australia.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/9458578/Yorkshire-athletes-propel-Great-Britain-up-the-medal-table-at-London-2012-Olympics.html
Actually, for such a little island we're doing bloody well. 22 golds, 48 medals in total, so far. Did you watch Sir Hoy? That's 6 golds now, terrific. That beats Steve Redgrave. The ozzies elbowed their way to a gold over Pendleton though. What can you expect from convicts.
Add pictures here
βœ–
brass monkey wrote:

It just shows that there are a lot of olympic sports that are not THAT hotly contested where a decent athlete put on a rigorous training schedule and coached well can quite easily get the No 1 spot.
Cant produce a Usain Bolt tho.
Look at rowing. There is obviously an art to it - how hard to go and when, - to get the best time, but its not that hard to master compared with - say - sailing or shooting.
Next remember than about half the nations you will compete against have little or no access to inland waterways at all and the rest will have about as much access as a Jamaican attempting the ski jump.
Throw money at these sports.
Watch the golds roll in.
Its a masterful application of cost-benefit analysis to winning olympic medals and a pat on the back for whoever did it.
If only they could apply the same methodology to e.. electrical power generation, or something really useful.

--
Ineptocracy

βœ–
On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 10:42:14 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

You should, of course, have said "Jamaica attempting the four-man bob".
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
Bob Eager wrote:

Probably the highlight of any winter olympics. I was mixing them up with Eddy the Eagle.
--
Ineptocracy

βœ–
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Eddie was a plasterer that had to wear his glasses when jumping. He also had no ski slope to train on so he made one out of platerboard.
Was he a winner?
--
Adam

Add pictures here
βœ–

He also had to borrow equipment - skis for example from other contestants

No, but he was a tryer, he wasn't a quitter
The Germans loved him for it and , despite what the british olympic authority thought, was a great ambassador for the UK
Eddie der Adler - the Spiegel goes as far as to call him a legend
http://einestages.spiegel.de/static/topicalbumbackground/3402/der_traum_v om_fliegen.html
respect !
--
geoff

Add pictures here
βœ–
Bob Eager wrote:

I'm sure there's a movie in there somewhere... @;-)
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 10:42:14 AM UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Maybe it's not quite that easy.

Well no, it's best to produce someone with a differnt name otherwise they'll get confused. But a a couple of years time perhaps even befpore the next Olympics another Usain Bolt type might appear, just like they did with Jim Hines in 1968 .

Is shooting that difficult, you have a guide or site and you pull the trigger. I was quiet suprised by the complexitiy of a modern bow and arrow, not the bows and arrows I remmeber as a kid. I wouldn't be suprised if the new ones had GPS ;-)

Think you're exagerating there, most countrties do have inland water ways of some sort, not that I'd go swimming or canoeing in the amazon, but I wouldn;t do either in the Thames anyway.

Did we throw as much time and money at them as china or the USA for example.
How come there weren't any chinese cyclists ?, or diod I miss them.

Well good training/coaching is important and tehre's more science involved than there used to be.

Add pictures here
βœ–

Think you're exagerating there, most countrties do have inland water ways of some sort, not that I'd go swimming or canoeing in the amazon, but I wouldn;t do either in the Thames anyway.
I have been canoing and swiming on the Amazon. There is no problem. Why should there be?
Add pictures here
βœ–

aligators?
--