Old computing bits - scrap or pass on? - Xpost

I'm clearing some stuff out and there are some bits which might be useful to those with ancient hardware.

Things like SCSI cables, Iomega Zip drive (external), parallel cables.

Willing to ship them to anyone who is interested, or take advice on anywhere which might reuse them.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Got any fully wired 25 way d to d male to male leads? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I put similar on a local community group forum (Nextdoor) - went to a local scout group.

Reply to
RJH

Ebay will show you what people will pay.

Reply to
newshound

In message snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk>, newshound snipped-for-privacy@stevejqr.plus.com> writes

My plan is to try ebay first, with a miniscule starting price, then Freecycle, then the tip.

I reckon I can match or beat anyone for quantity and quality of utter junk. Things like a pair of very large dot matrix printers with some weird industrial interface, acquired with the aim of providing a source of stepper motors to use in a computer controlled satellite dish drive system. The need to see other satellites (or any) has gone and I'm getting too old anyway for serious projects.

Then there's the boating stuff. Anyone need a Morris Commander gearbox?

Reply to
Bill

Such a think is unknown to Ebay, so must be very rare indeed.

Perhaps rather than getting rid of stuff you should leave your sheds in trust as a tourist attraction and educational resource for the nation.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Maybe it's for a Duple Commander?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Either way there are people that buy that sort of thing. They pay good money when they want one. At other times dunno, someone might take it if the price is good enough.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

AIUI, the Morris Commander was a marine diesel engine used in fishing boats. I got the gearbox with the idea of attaching it to the make-1-from-two Enfield diesel engines I had been given. But before I started that, I was offered, from 2 separate sources, a Vetus marine diesel and the separated-at-birth associated gearbox that just needed bolting back together. That's what's in the boat now.

The 2 Enfields went on Freecycle. The gearbox is in the shed under loads of other junk, so I can't actually get to it to get it out yet for its photoshoot. Somewhere under the same pile is the boat's first engine, a single cylinder air cooled Petter.

A long time ago I had a lengthy chat with the designer of the small, simple but advanced Petter diesels. He was very, very unhappy about their takeover by Lister and the ensuing rise in acceptance of small Japanese diesels in their place. The small water cooled Petters were brilliant in that you could screw on standard galvanised plumbing fittings rather than unique, mega priced pieces of pipe.

Reply to
Bill

You might find someone will even dig it out if free.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

At my (nominal) hourly rate I don't think eBay will cost in.

I have more or less given up on Freegle/Freecycle because of the amount of effort required to successfully dispose of stuff.

Nobody here has put their hand up for anything, which was my main reason for posting.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Sorry, Brian, missed this. Will have a dig and get back to you.

Reply to
David

I was going to suggest some African computer charity but it seems they have become very fussy in what they get, like "PCs that are less than 8 years and at least dual core".

Hell, it seems a laptop I regularly use isn't good enough for them!

Before binning I would put the lot on Freecyle as a single lot. Some lad or lass might have the time to put them on eBay and make a few pennies.

Reply to
Fredxx

Got loads of those, Zip disks too. Post where you got rid of them.

Reply to
AnthonyL

If I haven't I have all the bits and cable testers etc.

What you go>Got any fully wired 25 way d to d male to male leads?

Reply to
AnthonyL

in the electronics skip at the local tip.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher