O/T Surround cinema

I would like to add surround cinema to my DVD player - nothing fancy because we dont watch that many films.

Is it as simple as buying a set of speakers and plugging 'em in to the back of the DVD player?

Reply to
Paper2002AD

see

You'll need an amp & surround sound speakers to match your DVD output. Some DVDs are 2:1 some are 5:1 so check your manual to see which you have.

Don

Reply to
Don Spumey

This is a better url. IIRC this product is sold at Index for about GB£50

Don Spumey

You might just be very disappointed then, as it may not improve your enjoyment much.

No. The DVD - at best - will have line level outputs. So you'll need an amplifier as well as speakers. You might also need an amplifier with a surround sound decoder.

Assuming you've not got a reasonable sound system, upgrading to decent stereo will give a much greater improvement than 'cheap' surround.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have to agree there. We went from reasonable stereo to cheap surround and were distinctly unimpressed. We then upgraded to a better 5.1 amp and separate speakers (5*80W rms with a 50W rms 10" sub) and the difference is obvious ;)*

Although, if you (OP) don't need a lot of volume then the type of all-in-one system with a powered sub and small sattellite speakers can work surprisingly well, especially in a small room. As with all these things, it's much better if you can listen to the system first...

Lee

*Still need to change the fronts (Gales) for a pair that better match the Kef centre though - the Gales sound nice, but they are too quiet I have the equalisation all over the place to get it to sound *just* right ;)
Reply to
Lee

I spent ages trying to get a centre speaker that was a good match to my Spendors and gave up. It had to be a 'proper' centre speaker for looks so this precluded using a 'normal' type. I also wanted it to be a transparent system so would be ok for normal listening too.

So stuck with phantom. Few listening with me can tell the difference anyway. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I sometimes find that 'phantom' sounds better with early Dolby surround material anyway, where the centre channel can sound muffled through a real speaker. I do prefer a real centre for DD 5.1 material though ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

I found by using the same speaker as the main pair it was fine. (did some borrowing) But needed - in practice - a shielded speaker that would also fit either on top or underneath the TV.

It still needs to be a speaker capable of reproducing natural uncoloured speech. Perhaps some do now - I just gave up.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)