O/T: 'New' flats evacuated due to fault in design

Why it pays to use traditional methods of construction:

sPoNiX

If they had designed and built it properly in the first place using experts and not cutting corners - they would have spent less thn wht will be the total cost of building and repair.

Reply to
Brian

Yup!

Problem with a lot of "new technologies" is that the design flaws only become apparent after a few years.

This whole thing reminds me if the 1960s tower blocks that'd crack up after a few years.

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

Rather like the Asinelli and Garisenda towers in Bologna. That was quite a few years back. Worth visiting as it is only 3 euros to climb up a creaky vertiginous staircase for a good look at the place. They are also alluded to in The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri. Pisa was another lesson in building onto alluvial soils.

Inversion of High Alumina Cement panels autoclaved to save time in manufacture. I did have a picture of a panel caught in mid-flight narrowly missing a policeman. Guesstimating, the panel was 2"x3'x6'. I believe it came from about the tenth floor. The usual principle applies, cutting corners is the easy way to expensive.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt