O/T: Need urgent advice on where to buy a home for elderly relative

Yes, that link you posted yesterday has got me thinking

Reply to
geoff

I don't think it's quite as bad as this. The occupier is a part owner and has the right to sell and recover his / her share of the selling price including any profit due to normal inflation.

Of course if the owner / occupier simply defaults then he will be at the mercy of the housing association.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

There are others:

last one if for 70% ownership but 100% should only be 45K

(I only looked in the south)

tim

Reply to
tim.....

There was a decided case on this issue earlier this year. It was mentioned by myself on uk.legal at the time.

-- Alasdair.

Reply to
Alasdair

In message , tim..... writes

Looks like Kirsten is going to be wanting your babies soon

Reply to
geoff

Nope - 50k for 20 years' lease *that started in 1995*. So 14 years of that have gone leaving six years; presumably the "option" for a further ten comes at additional cost.

And the building itself appears to a medium-to-large garden shed.

Whatever you're looking for, this ain't it.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

What was the decision, and did it apply to both situations?

Some years ago I considered part-buying a new-build housing association house. It was made absolutely clear at the time that a part owner had the right to sell but that the sale must be the whole house - i.e. one could not just sell the owned percentage and pass on the rental to a new owner / renter. The proceeds of the selling price were shared on the basis of the percentage owned.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Yes we have a lot of southern immigrants round here.

Reply to
AlanG

Not necessarily, the site owner might demand the removal of a 20-year- old caravan from his site.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Very unfortunately, I cannot remember the name of the case but hopefully somebody from uk.legal can find it.

Basically, this woman in the West Midlands took a house from a housing association on a shared ownership plan. Unfortunately she was being harrassed by her ex-partner's mates, moved out of the house and was unable to continue paying the rent element.

The housing association agreed to refund her original money as a goodwill gesture but refused to pay a current market value which had increased with inflation.

The court held that she was, in law, a tenant and she lost the money she put into buying the house which went to the housing association.

I understand the matter is being appealed to the Supreme Court but I have not heard the outcome.

-- Alasdair.

Reply to
Alasdair

Do they mostly buy up whole streets ?

Reply to
geoff

No Difficult to do except on new builds.

There are a lot of retired people who have sold up in the south and bought a cheaper property in this area.

Reply to
AlanG

Unless she has done a runner - no recent responses.

Reply to
David WE Roberts