O/T: Is rust magnetic?

Slightly O/T but does anyone know if rust particles will stick to a strong magnet?

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

Try no more nails :)

Reply to
Richard Conway

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 12:54:49 GMT,it is alleged that snipped-for-privacy@email.com (s--p--o--n--i--x) spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

They should, red iron oxide (aka dehydrated rust) was used for old 'ferric' magnetic recording tapes.

Reply to
Chip

Yes and there is a device marketed to collect the rust in CH systems using a magnet as the water circulates.

I'm not sure that the brown rust is magnetic. However I think it probably is as it is the element Iron itself which is magnetic not a chemical property of compounds.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The particles of rust I've scraped off rusty items certainly have been.

Reply to
OldBill

They say they use the same stuff in Magnetec oil, and suspends the iron particles in the water. Then you drain.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel