O.T. Internet connection

Sorry to post OT here but -

I can send and receive mail I can get on here. I cannot make any WWW connection at all. Tried 2 browsers both working yesterday, now not at all. Is there a general Web problem or is it at my end?

TIA

Reply to
Mike

No general problem that I have noticed. Some things to check:

Are your browsers configured to use a proxy? (typically provided by your ISP) If so that may have gone down. Try without (assuming your ISP will let you out directly on port 80)

Do HTTPS connections fail as well (try

for example)?

Are you running a personal firewall (Outpost, ZoneAlarm, blackICE defender etc). If so have you made any changes recently? (same qustion applies if using a hardware firewall / router)

If running IE are you sure it is not in "Work Offline" mode?

Has your ISP published any indication on their support pages / newsgroups of problems?

Have you phoned them?

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , Mike writes

No problem here, I suspect it is a problem with your ISP

Have you a backup connection you can try?

Reply to
chris French

Mike you K*** head whatever made you post here unless trolling, try

24hoursupport.helpdesk They will try to assist you
Reply to
Annette Kurten

No proxy

Yes, this connects. Significance?

Normally use Kerio but disabled for testing

It is not. Nor is Mozilla Firefox

Cannot connect to Support pages. No newsgroup announcements or comments found.

Not yet. Was already on the newsgroup so I thought that I would ask a quick question to see if there was a general Web problem.

Thanks for your help

Reply to
Mike

Not trolling, just asking for help in a generally helpful group.

Reply to
Mike

it is not a problem with your browser then - the whole http get and retrieve process is working. The main difference is that https runs on port 443 rather than port 80. Hence you seem to be loosing port 80 traffic for some reason.

So it sounds like an ISP problem to me.

You could do another test to eliminate most of the browsing code at your end by doing:-

telnet http

That should get you a welcome message from the web server. Also try:-

ping

and see if you get a response - that should prove you can get routing to the site.

If the telnet fails but the ping works then that suggests a ISP problem with port 80 (they may be running a proxy at the border of their network that you can't avoid).

If the ping fails then try a few different addresses (not all web servers will reply to a ping -

should) - if they all fail then that suggests a general routing problem. If you are on broadband then try resetting your connection - if that fails then back to the isp.

The other thing to check if the ping fails is try "ping 194.159.245.141" (that is the IP address of the dmeon server mentioned above). If that works then it sounds like you have a DNS related issue (i.e. it is not responding to lookup requests in time). In which case see if their is an alternative you can use for the moment.

;-) I should have thought that through a bit before me thinks...

Reply to
John Rumm

Your ISP is isolated.

Or if using web proxies and or caches, the caches are broken.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher