O/T: BBC "Disaster masters"

Has anyone seen this? Is that bloke a real plumber?

T'other week he replaced a cracked trap under the sink with about fifty squillion pipe fittings, all in different colours. Even then it took him all day because he wanted a reducer (Doesn't he know B&Q have these??)

This week I only caught the end of the programme but he made a very ugly hole through some very expensive tiles in order to get an overflow pipe to drain into the bath. What was going on there?

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

To make this last botch even more absurd - the lady owner of the house liked his 'overflow' so much, she actually CHOSE to keep it ! Franko.

Reply to
Franko

The overflow was not from the bath but rather from the DHW system I beleive (missus told me this as I missed that bit).

One assumes he fixed the constant overflow too?

Apparently, the "fix" was an emergency measure until it could properly sorted.

I am not really sure if this was the only "quick" option, but I guess the implication is so. Being an emergency plumber you would expect him to carry plenty of fittings etc to be able to lash something a bit more elegant up.

He seemed rather attached to his big SDS drill, so maybe that was the deciding factor on approach.

All seemed a bit odd to me too!

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

(snip)

It was allegedly a temporary measure but the tenant decided to keep the botch up overflow draining over the edge of the bath, next she'll be moaning that there are stains down the side of her bath. I would have thought it would have been a bit easier to establish why the water was overflowing in the first place!

Franko.

Reply to
Franko

keep the

Yes, but then that would not make 'good' TV...

Who remembers the days when TV programmes were made by experts in the subject and not brainless media students on WE ?!... :~(

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Those "brainless meeja students" aren't on work experience, they're on twice what you and I make put together 8-(

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Well they did get the name correct, that plumber is definitely a Master of Disaster

Reply to
Mark

I thought about that but wondered why he didn't just fix the problem that was causing the overflow?

With regards to the pipe surely it would have been simple to connect it into the pipe under the bath?

Maybe the only reason the tenant decided to keep the "fix" was because the tiles would have cost too much to replace? Anyway, I wouldn't like something like that draining into my bath. Imagine of you leave the plug in, go on holiday and the overflow gets blocked!

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

because

Imagine going on holiday and a pipe bursting or joint failing, or any number of other things that *could* happen - best you never leave your home for more than an hour or so.....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Yes this program worried me in that respect.

Especially when there was a suggestion that the insurance would not cover faulty workmanship, assuming it might not cover faulty materials either the only thing that is left is accidents/stupudity!

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

materials

There is never an automatic payout with insurance, if the loss adjuster, or who ever, can find an excuse to either reduce or stop payment they will do so - insurance companies are in business NOT to pay out if at all possible, that is how they make their profits.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

That's nice and safe. So when the system blows, anyone in the bath gets blasted with boiling water and steam?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

When is this programme on, I cannot find it in my TV listings paper?

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Monday 01 August

8:30pm - 9:00pm BBC1
Reply to
Suz

Bob Eager

Think it was from the header tank or something, not the cylinder oflow/vent pipe etc ... relying on 2nd hand info here...

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW

Even a header tank can be full of boiling water when a boiler goes a bit funny.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle