Not-very-low-energy bulbs

Needed a bulb for a bedside light today, so popped in to the local excellent hardware-and-all-sorts shop.

Good ol' fashioned 40w filament bulb. 99p Halogen 28w-bright-as-35w. £2.99

WTF is the point of a "low energy" bulb that only saves 20% of the juice?

Extended life? Mebbe. Three times? Unlikely.

Reply to
Adrian

1,200 hours - @ 15p per Kw/h 40w lamp - 48.0 units - £7.20 + £0.99 = £8.19 TCO 28w lamp - 33.6 units - £5.04 + £2.99 = £8.03 TCO

so a 13p saving assuming the same life of 1200 hours for both lamps and an electricity cost of 15p per unit, thats at least a couple of tins of beans at Lidl I would have thought!

;-)

Reply to
Toby

Ah, but the LE one claimed to be equivalent to 35w...

so £6.30+99p=£7.29

Lower TCO...

Reply to
Adrian

True, but against your two choices, the point is still stands!

TLC sell the 28w lamps for £0.95 +vat

but that might mean driving further to get one ;-)

Reply to
Toby

Should've said... It's a mini-screw-thread, rather than a bayonet. Cheapest online's not much more than a quid, still.

Reply to
Adrian

Talking of light bulbs and LiDL they've got various small LED lamps (including mains GU10, ES and SES, and 12V MR16 type) on offer 2 for £9 at the moment. About 3W, warm white, decent output IMO.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Possibly. Traditional lamps are claimed to be 1,000 hours +/- 250 hours, depending upon the figures you look at. Halogen are claimed to give

2,000-2,500 hours. However, while the traditional lamp will have lost up to 20% of its light output by the time it dies, the halogen lamp will have lost 5-6%.

Personally, I am fitting LEDs as lamps need replacing: 25,000 hours or more life and very low wattage.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I was not aware Halogen were in any way intended to be low energy. They are a little more efficient than filament bulbs but they still get bloody hot and also pop off with no regard to their age...grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It was mostly an attempt by the light bulb makers to keep selling incandecents to get round the various bans on trad bulbs.

Reply to
Scott M

becasue of their higher efficiency, they are marketed as "energy saving" compatables. Useful when you ned them to dim, since the fluorescent equivalents usually don't.

Reply to
charles

People in council houses with only one ceiling light in the room can use th em with 1980s B&Q dimmer switches to reduce the light output to 10% whilst using 90% of the electricity.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Just how large is your house? Most wouldn't spend 4500 quid a year on energy - let alone be able to save that amount. It suggests you were using around 6000 quids worth before. Are you growing cannabis?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How much is he leeching off us in FIT payments? He keeps boasting about how much power he generates from his solar panels.

Reply to
John Williamson

Whatever he is growing, he is evidentially smoking most of it!

Reply to
John Rumm

It is a two & half bedroom bungalow. See previous post. I have solar panels and an electric car. I have zero heating bill.

harryagain

All energy is subsidised. And the future subsidies will be huge to pay for the new infra structure, (whatever energy source, but esp. if they build nuclear).

If you hadn't the wit to see the possibilities, well tough shit. It's not too late, there is still a good return from PV panels far better than interest in the bank/BS. Not to mention theft by QE/inflation.

You can install insulation whenever you like. The energy you save will be at tomorrow's prices, not todays. So almost any expenditure you make in the insulation field will pay (providing you remainin at that house)

Reply to
harryagain

Only half wits take drugs of any sort.

I wonder if some of the half wits here are on drugs. The one's that can't see the consequenses of inaction now.

Reply to
harryagain

Which LEDs do you use?

Reply to
harryagain

You can buy ones the will and ones that won't. Wills cost more.

Reply to
harryagain

Bollocks. Most energy is taxed to the hilt.

There you go again, making assumptions about how and where others live. Your system *only* works for houses, and can't be made to work for flats, for instance, as the energy density of the incoming solar radiation isn't great enough to cope with multiple occupancy buildings, or in a non-fixed dwelling such as a boat or mobile home. I could just about generate enough electricity to deal with the lighting and water pumping needs that I have, though. I couldn't deal with the hot water or heating requirements, due to a lack of available surface area to mount the required solar panels, and enough insulation would not leave me enough room to move round inside.

Reply to
John Williamson