Non-smelly/Low VOC gloss paint.

We haven't done much decoration in this house since we moved in 5 years ago, but after having some windows stripped/renovated and repainted we are limbering up for some.

I really want to try and avoid the standard paints (for the woodwork, emulsion isn't a problem) as my wife get very bad migraines and the fumes from paints in one of the things that can bring them on.

(She once was hospitalised overnight, when I was away and she did some painting of doors. She had such a bad migraine the on call GP thought it might be a brain tumour and insisted she go into hospital (she just wanted some serious pain killers to get some rest). It wasn't, but she got some serious pain killers that enabled her to sleep)

I did try some stuff in the old house, so maybe 7-8 years ago but wasn't very impressed. I'm hoping things have improved (or that it's easier to get stuff now). A web search indicates various products, and I was wondering if anyone got any experience of anything they would recommend?

Gloss or Satin finish would be ok.

Thanks

Reply to
chris French

you can get water based gloss finish, although I don't know what it smells like - I can't imagine that it's as bad as the solvent based paint. The finish on it is quite impressive and you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference.

Don't get it from b&q though - their paint is crap and even the crown and dulux stuff they sell is far inferior to the same brand bought from a paint suppliers

Reply to
Phil L

In article , chris French writes

I think you will be disappointed, I've yet to see a low voc paint that can match the finish and durability of full fat but I understand you have important reasons to change.

I've used Johnstones and Dulux trade full fat paints and have found it easy to get a good finish but on the last but one job (using oil based eggshell on rads & wood) it took and age for the smell to shift and I found myself with watering eyes when entering the room if it had been closed up for a while.

Next job I tried Johnstones Acrylic Eggshell for wood and metal in a bid to keep the odour down. It's fairly pricey but is pushed as suitable for hard wearing use in hospitals and schools and claims to meet various BS/EN specs. It was fine on odour but I wasn't impressed with the finish, too many lingering brushmarks which just aren't there on full fat. I put this down to the short open time not allowing any brush marks time to flow together. It's not been up long enough to judge the wear.

If there's anything to take from that I'd say it's not to bother spending too much on your acrylic stuff as it will likely look shit no matter what you buy.

I understand you have your hands tied but I wont be using acrylic again for wood or metal.

Maybe others will have tips for how to obtain a decent finish with them.

Reply to
fred

Perhaps your wife should discuss it further with her GP and see if there is some appropriate medication that can reduce or cure the migraine problem. I understand from couple of friends who have suffered for years with migraines that newer medication has transformed their lives.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

In message , Peter Crosland writes

Thanks Peter, but she pretty much has the best medication available. (Imigran) It does reduce/stop the migraine, and the situation for her is so much better than it used to be (where all there was really was painkillers).

But it doesn't stop them happening, so of course I want to avoid stuff that might bring them on in the first place

Reply to
chris French

Thanks,

Any idea what make it would have been Phil?

Reply to
chris French

In message , harry writes

What particular make(s) Harry? and how long ago was your experience?

There seem to be a variety of products on the market, including water based ones from mainstream manufacturers, e.g. Dulux (Ecosure), Sadolin Rubol Satura BL. And stuff from niche makes such as the Ecos range, which contains no VOC at all (the others have a low level it seems)

Since I'm in the position of wanting to avoid anything to smelly, it's useful to know makes etc. people have used so I can discount them if necessary.

They may well not be as good a solvent finish, I fully accept that. 'Good enough' is all I am looking for really.

Reply to
chris French

I've used the Sadolin (Sikkens) Rubol because it was the only true matt paint that I could fine. I love it. Almost no smell, dries in a matter oh hours and stays white. I've used it for cupboard doors and use a small foam roller to get a good finish. I guess it helps if you can lay the door down flat.

I am currently painting some kickboards using the Dulux professional eggshell and although it is oil based (they don't do the mix on site colours in water based wood paint) it seems to be much less smelly than traditional oil paint. Although only time will tell how well it wears.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

Lots of mentions so far of water based gloss, which IME is about as poor a gloss as you can get. Its not very glossy, and is fairly weak physically. But it works.

There are a cople of other maybes. One is linseed oil paint, an entirely different chemistry to alkyd gloss. It takes ages to dry, and pongs heavily (and nicely) so your wife might want to test it before painting with it. Another possible is white emulsion followed by water based varnish or waxing.

If those are no good, you could look into historic paint forumlae, there's all sorts out there.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Thanks for that. I think the Sikkens is going to be on the shortlist

There does seem to be a big variation, some paint (even just standard glosses) seems esp smelly compared to others. We used Satinwood in our old house and seemed less smelly than the gloss.

There is also legislation, which is limiting the level of VOC's "The Volatile Organic Compounds in Paints, Varnishes and Vehicle Refinishing Products regulations 2005" , aka VOC 2010 legislation

By the by, some was commenting here on undercoat they were using that seemed to have amore of a sheen, it seems that this is a side effect of these changes, along with longer drying times for top coats among other things.

Reply to
chris French

In message , Tabby writes

I suspect we will end up with a satin finish anyway. But gonna try a few things and see.

I pondered about linseed paint, (I've used it on a large outside window) but the drying time is somewhat off putting in terms of getting a job done and a room back into use. And the fumes might still not be wife friendly.

Varnish over emulsion could be a possibility.

I think I'm going to have to try a few out and see what I think first. Probably the Ecos paint, and the Sikkens and Dulux waterbased ones.

Reply to
chris French

In message , harry writes

Ah well, I'd not trust anything from Focus anyway :-)

Reply to
chris French

... and ages and ages. I had a coat take a week to dry over the summer. I doubt it's worth bothering until April outside.

We tend to use Farrow and Ball matt inside. It's very /very/ matt - which I love, but really doesn't work if you wanted a shiny finish.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Also smelly, but a different smell - Perfection 709 epoxy. Wears well & doesn't yellow, tougher than you'd need.

Phil.

Reply to
Phil