No vertical joint mortar

Would it cause any problem to omit vertical joint mortar in the inner leaf of a bathroom wall? I think the answer would be no, and I see a possible reason to do it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

What's the reason?

Reply to
mark.hannah

Yes

You will get air through the joint, which will mean a loss of heat, when compared to a mortared joint.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

I'm not too sure about that.

The reason is to increase damp evaporation from the plaster and inner wall leaf into the cavity. Missing verttical joints provides more evaporation area plus the damp can evap direct from the plaster or PB, doesnt need to travel through the brick/block first. Damp is a common issue in UK bathrooms, shower tilework sometimes leaks etc.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

So the water condences on the outside of the inside leaf, and runs down the cavity - not so clever I think.

If you are worried about tiles leaking, there are many products that you use to put a waterproof layer where the plaster woild be.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Why do you think that would happen?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

By not having a proper thermal barrier behind the plaster, you are far more likely to create cold spots and condensation.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel