Nice PAT test fail

I was not PAT testing but I did spot this today whilst doing an EICR

I was interested as it was powering this

which had a brass lampholder (needs an earth).

And for the grand finale of f*ck ups (the picture says it all) we have

ARW

Darwin test when lampholder is earthed to "neutral"?

Reply to
Capitol

I would hazard a guess that it may pass through the odd testing regime. :-)

Was on an MOD site some years back and if you replace the connector with a bit of 5A chockstrip, the only difference was the style of lamp and the "do not use after" label on the plug.

The cable ran into a cupboard and out the other side!

The company that tests our stuff now are so much better. Earth bond tests at 1kV according to the paperwork.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Well how to write a post that is totally unusable. Thanks a lot. Why not just write what it was and what happened? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

En el artículo , ARW escribió:

Ahh, a widowmaker.

Classy.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

ARW

My fathers house was built in 1956, so no cpc in the lighting circuits. Lounge had 4 fantastic wall lights with glass diffusers that looked like shells (aka the petrol logos) and metal frames.

Step mother decided 'they need replacement' about 10 years ago and commissioned an electrician to have some horrible curly metal replacements but being metal, and without a cpc he fitted a whole house rcd.

When they got too old to buy proper bulbs they relied on M&S or Tesco own-brand 40w candle bulbs until one gloomy winters afternoon they turned on the lights, one cheap bulb popped and tripped the rcd, plunging the whole house into darkness. The offending bulb came apart in the holder, and after much bickering, elderly father tried to use step ladder and inevitably fell and buggered his hip.

I suspect more elderly people die from falls (because they couldn't replace bulbs) than have ever been electrocuted.

Reply to
Andrew
[11 lines snipped]

Bought a s/h lawnmower whose lead had been extended like that, once.

Reply to
Huge

I got involved with Cable TV at about the time that a large roll-out was imminent and worked with a group of ex-BT guys who had no knowledge of TV.

One was known universally, from his senior manager down as Elsie ...

The Telco side of CATV is different to BT because one large Switch (aka exchange) feeds a very large geographical area which means that there is a lot of fibre-fed intelligence in the street - remember, this was over 20 years ago, long before broadband internet - with only the connection to the local subscribers being on copper.

All of this kit is provided with battery back-up to maintain service in the event of a power cut but, if the cut is prolonged, a portable generator is used. Planning for this is where Elsie came in.

In Elsie's mind, the generator would be plugged into the street cabinet, so I heard him proposing one day that that a Commando socket would be fitted to the equipment with a plug on the cable from the generator to plug into it!

Of course, another plug would be required in the mains input which would automatically become live when the power was resumed ...

When I tackled him on this, he genuinely didn't understood my concern and it took all morning to finally convince him of the error of his ways!

I was always puzzled by his name - I certainly didn't see any indication that it referred to his sexuality - until his manager explained it to me one day. It dated back to his BT days and wasn't Elsie at all but LC - short for Lazy C**t ...!

Reply to
Terry Casey

ALT text for Brian: hand making rude gesture with single finger.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

So why did the RCD trip? The lamp (bulb) is not connected to earth,

Reply to
ARW

Oddly, I found it perfectly usable.

Because that would take a lot longer and sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

I think you're being a bit, no, a *lot* unrealistic if you're expecting all USENET users to post in a visually impaired friendly manner.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

If you're not blind.

Brian is.

Well, there is that - OTOH, there's no harm in a bit of Netiquette :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

But Usenet is a text only medium so there's not much alternative to text is there?

Reply to
cl

You didn't miss anything, Brian. They were just a bunch of badly framed photos showing in line cord connectors with 13 amp plugs demonstrating unsafe wiring practice (twin core bell wire in one case and a male in line connector wired to a 13 amp plug in another).

Reply to
Johnny B Good

I believe that most posters are well aware that Brian's favourite colour is corduroy.

I made a post to uk.d-i-y not to uk.blind.wankers.

Reply to
ARW

Um, obviously I've been imagining those web links to photos and other sites.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Duh. Please read the whole post before saying anything silly.

The web has come along way since the inception of Usenet and whilst links to pictures and websites was once not approved of due to slow internet speeds, now it is routine to post such things. It's a clock that's not gonna get turned back I'm afraid.

Brian can whine but unfortunately for him, links to sites and pictures are now "normal".

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Why should anyone posting have to declare this? Why would anyone be using a workplace computer for Usenet? If their job requires it then there will have to be acceptance by an employer that NSFW links may be encountered.

If you're misusing a workplace computer it's hardly the poster's fault.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Simple etiquette.

Don't be so ridiculous - my workplace is fine with personal use in breaks. We don;t all work for Tesco. However, I don't want to be opening something dodgy. I'd also like to have a rough idea before clicking on links if my child is next to me.

Reply to
Tim Watts