New TV Moderately OT:-)

At one time, they were giving a 3 year warranty, and a 50% trade-in as well as a free new warranty, if you returned the item within 3 years.

I bought 3 items and traded them all in at 2 years 11 months.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Surely the only use for a PVR is to record off air progs? And if it can't find the HD channels to record, not much point?

My Toppy still works, and can't say there is than much difference on say BBC1 SD fed RGB between it and a much later Humax via HDMI.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm sure my 65" Panny does too, since it's only a couple of years old. But just where would you want different sizes?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm not sure why I'd want to copy anything from a PVR?

But most would be glad to have single HDMI connector over all the ones needed for components.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Terrible user interface, keeps on getting bogged down in some scenario that only a power cycle will fix. Not good for use by SWMBO. Very narrow useable view.

No idea.

That's our view, anyway. Bought it because it was British, and one of the few small sets available. Never again...

Reply to
Davey

We have 32" in living room (the only television we have). Very disappointed that there really is nothing between 32 and 40 (one or two 37 or 39, but they seem to be old models). We really don't need or want anything as large as 40, or more, but we do want a decent display, tuner, etc.

(Our current Panasonic keeps having little fits - display goes funny. Restart and it is OK, but we expect it to give up sometime fairly soon, it is getting on.)

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Wonder how much of it is British? Or simply assembled in the UK? That could make sense for high end models where they could pick the very best the world has to offer - but can't really see how it can be competitive with a budget Chinese etc brand.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Correct, and most people won't bother, but those that do, get a full refund of the 'premium' (actually a guarantee provided by R-S).

Reply to
Andrew

Viewing angle is a 'feature' of the panel type, not Cello's design. IPS nominally give a viewing angle of 178 degrees (-ish) while VA and MVA are almost as good, whereas TN have a narrow angle.

finding out what type of panel a set uses is a bit tricky and can even vary over a production run.

Not sure what a 'user interface' is unles it is a 'Smart TV' but you say it is a small set, so maybe not. On/off and everything else controlled by the remote, surely.

Reply to
Andrew

In message snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> writes

1050's Westerns:-) The auto size doesn't always get it right and you can get some very tall horses. Juggling the settings is usually a compromise with a bit of the picture lost but better than disproportionate people.
Reply to
Tim Lamb

Back in the '90s I bought a dual cassette deck from Richer sounds for about £120. For an extra £10, I got a 10 year warranty, free head realignment at any time and 50% off a future trade-in (less without the box IIRC). It is the only extended warranty I have ever bought on any household item.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

We bought a Toshiba 43" 4K TV about 18 months ago. We only got the 4K one because it was actually cheaper than most of the HD ones at the time

- a Richer Sounds offer. It has only ever been used as a 4K TV with the Blue-ray player and once when my son wanted to try out his new graphics card at that resolution.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Most obviously when you have a video server for all the TVs in the house or want to give a copy to someone else.

Reply to
jon lopgel

Not sure what exactly you are looking for but if the model is available at Richer Sound, then buy from them - 6 year warranty on all TVs and they price match.

Reply to
JoeJoe

You may find that the modern sets have such slim bezels that they take up no more space than a 32" set of a few years ago. We replaced an early LCD 32" philips set in a our bedroom (that I acquired from a mate who threw it out since it would not do "digital"), with a 42" smart TV. Its actually narrower than the one it replaced (although a couple of inches higher).

Reply to
John Rumm

Upscaling does not imply changing the pictures size or aspect ratio, but increasing the pixel count to match the actual resolution of the panel.

This could be as crude as simply repeating pixels or lines, but if done well with good interpolation this can actually create a subjectively better picture even though there is no new "real" information available for display.

Reply to
John Rumm

I tend to find the big "win" with 4k is not the extra resolution so much, but the fact that it often comes with High Dynamic Range, which gives a noticeable jump in realism.

4k Blueray and will deliver this, but also there is some HDR content on Amazon Prime and Netflix. (presumably sky also). HDR content form the X-Box is quite impressive as well.
Reply to
John Rumm

If you want a cheapie that is not too bad, the Hisense seem ok. Fewer downloadable "apps" than on a Samsung or LG, but they come with all the normal ones[1] and they seem to work ok.

[1] iPlayer and other catchup, Prime, Netflix, Plex etc
Reply to
John Rumm

We do have Amazon Prime, although we rarely use it (we only keep paying the subscription as we buy from Amazon frequently and the free delivery is more than the cost); We don't pay the extra for Netflix 4K and our XBox is an old 360.

We're not that bothered really, HD or 4K are not that much different on a 43" set. With larger sets, I can see that it could make a big difference.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker
<snip>

I got Mum / Dad a Sony Blueray player to give them (well me mostly) access to all the Smart stuff and all worked fine (wirelessly as well), until an update took half or the smart options away. ;-(

Subsequent updates haven't put them back.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m