New MOT test coming in.

Had my MoT done yesterday. It wasn't to beat the change, as I didn't know about the change when I booked it in.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

though is there in fact a new "test"

or is it just a new way of recording failures

tim

Reply to
tim...

This could be why they are exempting 40+ year vehicles per other thread.

Reply to
Scott

tim... wrote on 18/05/2018 :

Both..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

[quote] New checks The new MOT test will involve some new checks, including whether tyres are underinflated, if brake fluid has been contaminated and if brake pads or discs are missing. [/quote]

I'm sure a car without brake pads or disks would fail the existing brake efficiency tests.

Reply to
alan_m

And how are they going to know whether my kit-car's tyres are underinflated? What chart are they goign to find teh figure on?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

That was also one of my concerns too, they won't have access to manufacturers data and we have routinely run the pressures lower for 30+ years. Quite what they'd make of a tyre with 18psi in it I don't know.

The legal aspects of someone self presenting a 40+ year old car for an MOT, getting a fail on 'something' and then they carry on using the vehicle as if it had never been presented for an MOT are a minefield.

Would a failure without a subsequent successful retest mean that forever and a day the ANPR system would flag up a problem?

Reply to
The Other Mike

In message , The Other Mike writes

This is something I have thought long and hard about, concerning my 50 year old Traveller, which now no longer needs an MOT test. Whilst I'm capable of checking most things, I am seriously tempted to ask my local garage to give the vehicle a 'mock MOT' once a year, just in case I miss something. Quite what the legal position would be if they pointed out something fairly major, which I ignored, I don't know, although doubt I would come out smelling of roses.

Reply to
Graeme

Having been to an old car show this weekend, noticed that the age of the owners seems to be going up much in line with my own. Although there were plenty younger people as spectators.

Dunno if it's going out of fashion as a hobby like so many other things, or just that old farts are likely to have more disposable cash for any hobby.

Point being it's far more of an effort to examine the underside of a car well as you get older. Hence me being very against exempting any classic from a basic MOT as regards safety.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News)

It?s not just the cash, to keep an older vehicle you really need somewhere under cover or at a minimum some good off road parking and a shed for tools, paints spares safe.

That option isn?t available to many younger people especially if they have had to move away from parents who may have had a space in a barn or shed. And if they are still living at home in their 20?s the space for a vehicle may be in use to store other possessions and spending money on an old vehicle not a priority. Even amongst those who have got on the property ladder many houses have had garages or land where a shed was converted to living space. Sometimes a bit naughtily, a house I looked at years ago had a garage door .Behind it was a wall and another room where the garage used to be but the external door left in place so it still looked like an integral garage.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Mine is kept on the street. Means it has to be taxed year round though. No shed here either.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How the eff can you miss off a brake disk? What next, "Check steering wheel is present and correct"?

Driving it to the test centre would be an exciting journey as well, I would think.

Reply to
Halmyre

As you said older people tend to have more disposable income, if your vehicle needs something serious repaired say a gearbox do you do that on the road or pay others to do it or hire a workshop. A younger persons affordable entry into older vehicle ownership may well be something that needs a lot of restoration work rather than purchasing something that only needs polishing. By the nature of being young they won?t have the other option of owning and keeping a vehicle in good order for so much of their life that was an ordinary non remarkable car has become interesting as both owner and vehicle become old.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Used to do everything on the road. That has changed more due to my age than anything else.

May well be - but doesn't mean they have the skills or the desire to learn them, to DIY. I blame it on the lack of Meccano for kids. ;-)

Just because you happen to have owned a car for a long time doesn't mean it hasn't needed restoration work. But may have been less stressful to do it as required than to start out with a basket case.

The odd thing is electrical/electronic skills seem to be even less common than once, as regards car stuff. And I'd say even more needed. Odd considering the exposure of all to electronics.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Cars with viscous diffs can't be roller brake tested. You should inform the MOT tester you have a LSD and he will do a road test with a G meter. You could remove a rear brakes and pass.

Any 4wd that can't be presented locked in 2wd shouldn't be roller brake tested. It may be fine for few seconds if it passes the test but if the tester keeps test going for any time to see if braking improves it will destroy the viscous coupling by overheating and warping the plates.

Missing disc? Just put a bit of packing in to stop the piston coming out. If wheel doesn't fit on a stepped hub center, put a stack of washers on the studs so it's spaced out by disc thickness. Same goes for pads, just clamp the piston.

I once saw a guy at Darley moor race track arguing with the scrutineers. He had replaced the rear disc with a bit of ally (lovely job). Claimed he never used the rear brake. .... Until that time he does and really really needs it. He didn't get to race that day.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Rolls Royce made up until the 60s and the Shadow where they changed to disc brakes were interesting.

Pressing the brake pedal only operated the rear brakes direct via the same mechanical link as the handbrake.

The hydraulics on all four wheels were operated by twin master cylinders, which were in turn operated by a mechanical servo, driven off the propshaft end of the gearbox.

In other words, no hydraulic brakes unless the car was moving. So couldn't test the front brakes on a brake tester.

Nor could you bleed the brakes by pumping the pedal.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"construction and use" still applies

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's how road going vehicles once were. Hard to believe but true.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

harry