New mobile phone chip question

I received my new (unlocked) mobile phone today and found that the chip from my old phone is too big. I have a contract with THREE. Does anyone know the procedure to get a smaller chip from THREE to fit the phone, with my existing number (of course)? I mean, will they automatically send me the correct size with my existing number on it and ready to work.....complete with all my contacts etc?

Anyone encountered this problem before?

Reply to
Ronnie

Ring Three and ask for one, or call in at a shop. It should be free of charge.

You might need to fill in an online form identifying the SIM you want the number transferred to.

..complete with all my

No, they don't know your contacts. You don't say what type of phones you have, but when I wanted to transfer my contacts to an iPhone I found the easiest way was to email them to myself. I'd do that straight away before Three disables the old SIM card.

If they're both iPhones you can simply restore from an iCloud backup.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Yes, if you ask them for the correct SIM format

complete with all my

No - some will be in the phone, some on the SIM physically - transferring those is upto you.

The recommended way would be to pull the old SIM based ones plus the old phone ones onto (eg) Gmail then pull them back to the new phone from the same source.

Frequently - I tend to avoid it by not storing anything on the phone or the SIM that is not mirrored to an external service (like GMail).

That just leaves me a bunch of files to copy over from one phone's storage to the other (or use an SD card).

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's an OPPO FIND 7.....and thanks.

Reply to
Ronnie

Reply to
Ronnie

They can send you out a new SIM with your existing number (and credit).

To get your contacts transferred over, try asking in a mobile phone shop as many shops have SIM readers which can do this.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Its quite easy to DIYit. There are templates on-line to convert normal sims to Mirco or Nano. I have cut a few down. you can also get a sim card cutter for a few quid of ebay.

Reply to
Eednud

That says it's "based on Android", dunno if that's close enough to let you sync contacts etc from a Google account, if your previous phone was Android - I suspect not.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Handy tips, thanks.

Reply to
Ronnie

I didn't know that, thanks.

Reply to
Ronnie

Anybody who has bought a new phone and found the SIM doesn't fit, ie loads of people. In very simple terms the phone number is just a reference into a database that gives the ID number of the SIM and the ID number of the phone, these are long numbers 14 digits, may be more. The network checks neither the SIM or phone is blocked and if not blocked allows calls etc to happen.

So to change SIM you get one of a suitable size and function (ie contract in your, though I'm not usre it's relevant) from your network operator. You can then probably wander over to their web site, fill in an online form with your number, new SIM number and old SIM number and it just happens. The hard bit is reading the tiny print giving the ID number of the SIMs, the new one should have it on the packaging but I bet you haven't got that for the old one.

Contacts, if new SIM can fit old phone. Transfer any contacts on old SIM into old phone, take out old SIM put in new SIM transfer all contacts to new SIM, remove put in new phone, transfer contacts to phone. By default most phones use the phone for storage not the SIM.

Or if you go to your network operators shop to get a new SIM, with old and new phones and old SIM they'll do the transfer for you.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ronnie pretended :

Just get a SIM cutter and cut your existing one to size. Here's a link to Ebay SIM cutters or, if you need it urgently I'm sure you'll get one from a local market stall or shop.

John

If you had a mini sim and now need a micro one, print out the template:

stick the sim to it, and chop off at the lines.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, my other phone is an Android.

Reply to
Ronnie

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Ronnie

Cheers.

Reply to
Ronnie

Great link, cheers.

Reply to
Ronnie

I've seen three sizes. I gather the very small sims can have an adaptor, but the thin ones are incompatible with the others. I'm sure I saw these options on a web site just selling sims the other day, so they have to be out there. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Thanks to all who offered help on this thread.

Reply to
Ronnie

There are four now.

My first GSM phone took the full sized sim card the size of a credit card, quickly most phones switched to the mini sim, and that was in use for so long that most people call that the standard size, then in recent years micro and nano sims have come along ...

I've used micro to mini adapters without problems, never used a nano sim.

Reply to
Andy Burns