New London taxis glued together.

There was an interesting program about making London taxis on Channel 4 on Saturday night.

The main taxi body is made up from various bits of aluminium which are glued together. The glue has to be baked to make in harden. It was possible to wait a few days after the glue was applied before it had tom be baked.

There was another part of the vehicle where glue was used, but in that case the glue cured much more quickly.

I did wonder if the glues could be purchased for domestic use?

Reply to
Michael Chare

A garage owning friend has a two part glue that is considered acceptable for repair patches on MOT work.

I'm not sure if there are any restrictions on where such repairs can be made?

I think chemical bonding has been fairly common on ally things for many years?

I wonder if it affects insurance premiums (if you have a car that is)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

epoxy I presume.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Its called araldite

Doesn't really set unless heat is used.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes it's an epoxy, I think the program mentioned 1-part, rather than 2-part

Reply to
Andy Burns

Baked in a 'giant' oven that perhaps was pressurised ?

People tend not to have autoclaves in the house so I wouldn't thinh there was much call for it domestically.

Reply to
soup

It has to have some kind of etching substance in it or it would simply adhere to the oxide and it would tend to fall to bits surely? So why use metal at all then? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Ask formula1 how cheap their composite carbon fibre chassis are?

Reply to
Andy Burns

You can buy aerolite - which (more or less) was used for Mosquitoes. (Yes, I know they were primarily wood not aluminium.) I suspect that was a very demanding role.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Many processes use a large plastic bag and use a vacuum to force the component pieces together

Reply to
alan_m

one of the previous episodes showed that their cars were glued too

can't recall which manufacturer

Reply to
tim...

Volvo? Lotus? ... both same owner.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Maybe I was too dismissive when my neighbour suggested gluing the fence instead of getting it welded.

Reply to
Scott

Lotus?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

No idea about the availability of the specific products mentioned, but this 3M document is quite interesting:

polygonum_on_google

A fair time ago the "frame" of an MPV (Espace?) was spot welded and then hot dip galvanized. I read somewhere that this made it about three times stiffer.

Reply to
newshound

There's a big difference between factory cleanliness and field prep for gluing. It's why we have the perception that "glue sucks". In a factory, they work on their prep procedures until they get it right.

And this is why you see suggestions to "glue and screw". Because everyone knows, long term, how much good the glue is in a DIY environment. The screw is there to take the stress the glue won't eventually be able to handle.

Glue has to be protected from UV light, so you would expect the painting procedure to be just as important. It's a package deal. With the painting being just as important as the gluing.

The materials have to be accelerated life tested, thermal cycled, to help prove they're robust. And this is the cab being field tested. That's from an article April 2017. The paint job is standard practice for camouflaging prototypes.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Just as well I employed a welder then :-)

Reply to
Scott

we use ovens. Domestic epoxy is pretty popular.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

There was a recent programme on the building of a modern Morgan. Ali clued to a wooden frame.

Reply to
alan_m