New house drips in loft

I had to fit an aerial in a new house recently. When I opened the hatch a b= it of water ran down on to me. In the loft on the roof there were loads of = drips, and the plastic bags that the customer had put in loft were covered = in drips. Site manager said this was normal and it was just condensation. C= ant say Iv seen this before so is it normal?

Reply to
sintv

On Sunday 20 January 2013 20:08 sintv wrote in uk.d-i-y:

No, it's not normal.

There is insufficient ventilation in the loft - assuming insulated loft floor - and/or there is too much warm humid air leaking in from the house, probably via the loft hatch.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It could be just the evaporation from the plastering if it is a new build and was plastered in the last couple of weeks. I experienced it a few weeks ago, had been plastered 2 days before, all the roof joists were soaking wet, and there was lots of water drops on the insulation.

Reply to
A.Lee

And it will cause rot in the wooden joists which in a new house are probably barely able to keep the roof up to begin with. I guess it depends just how new the house is if the plaster is still wet.

I'd suspect the insulation has been laid incorrectly so as to prevent all air exchange in the loft. Seen it before at my parents house which was similarly badly "well insulated" - the loft was positively dripping wet when I went in. Thankfully I found it and sorted out some proper ventilation before any permanent damage was done.

Reply to
Martin Brown

+1 This needs to be urgently fixed or you will get some sort of galloping rot up there.
Reply to
harry

It's quite likely that whoever installed the roof/loft insulation has blocked off the ventilation holes which are usually along the eaves these days.

Reply to
harryagain

IME it is entirely normal. It is not, however, desireable and need fixing.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q