new boiler - need to flush system

OK, new boiler will be fitted - probably vaillant ecotec plus 831. Anyway, I am aware the life of a boiler is greatly affected by the cleanliness of the system. So I need to flush the system. What are the basics of this - chemicals etc. Only thing I really have not time for is removing radiators etc. Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

In message , sm_jamieson writes

You should have done it BEFORE you removed the old boiler

Reply to
geoff

I think he is asking about what to do before the new boiler is fitted

tim

Reply to
tim....

Yep, I believe I said, *will* be fitted. Old boiler still in place in hobbling along. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I've got to drain tomorrow anyway to fit some pipes for a new radiator, so I can start the process.

Any filters / maganclean etc worth fitting in the hot water circuit with the new boiler ? Any filters / water softeners worth fitting in the mains water circuit through the boiler ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

That's OK then

Flush, refill including sludge remover run for a week

flush, refill with descaler run for a week

Useful stuff on e.g. Kamco's site

geoff

Personally I would drain and refill for starters, and add a desluder / cleaner. Run for a week or so until its time to fit the new boiler, then drain.

Now what happens next depends a bit on if it is a sealed system now, and also if its going to be. The easiest way to flush thoroughly is if you have a filling loop and a drain point[2] - you can turn both on at once so that fresh water is going though the system and out the drain. If you have not got this then you can either install it next (assuming you need it for the next boiler) or lash up something for the duration using the existing feed and return pipes.

Then you can turn off all the rads but one, so that it gets the full flow through it. Give that a bit until the water is flowing cleanly from the drain, and then open the valve on the next rad and close the first[1]. Repeat until you have done all the rads.

You can also hire power flushing machines that do a similar job but with recirculating chemicals.

[1] Don't do it the other way just in case you have very high water pressure - it would be a shame to burst a rad! [2] I normally install a screwdriver operated service valve connected to a hard pipe through a wall and into a gully - makes draining easy without hose pipes etc.
Reply to
John Rumm

Does anyone know if these 'DIY' flushing techniques are sufficient to maintain validity of the manufacturer's warranty? Or, to put it another way, does the absence of proof of a powerflush (or similar to BS 7593) matter?

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Read the small print

I hate to say it, but you might find you need a powerflush, although whether this would stand up in court ...

dunno

Reply to
geoff

Reply to