New BBC soap

THE RIGGERS
An exciting new BBC drama for daytime TV!
Starting soon on BBC1!
Following on in the footsteps of ‘Doctors’, the new series will have social justice and gritty story lines at its heart. The cast members were of course all chosen on talent grounds alone, but by lucky chance the result is a marvellously diverse ensemble, truly representative of our wonderfully diverse modern Britain.
The show centres on the lives and loves of a team of South Yorkshire aerial riggers. The team leader and business owner is ‘Muff’ Muncha, a formidable lady of Polish origin. Muff has a screen-filling presence that no-one can ignore. She can beat any of the men she employs at ladder climbing, aerial rigging, and customer dissing. Muff is married to Gloria Armstrong, who owns Macho, the female-only gym next door.
Chief rigger is Bonko Aldayo, played by newcomer Abinbolobobo Bobhinmaaa. Abinbolobobo graduated with honours only last year from the Nigeria Academy of Dramatic Arts, and now seems set for a glittering career in UK film, theatre, and television. We’re sure he’ll always be in work, despite having very little English and being quite ugly.
Bonko’s rival is Alisdair Balfour. Alisdair’s personal quest is to install more rigs per day than any of the other workers. His attempts to top the league table provide much of the drama in the series. Because he is differently abled he has major challenges which he overcomes heroically. Alisdair’s back story is told in the first episode. Alisdair is an ardent environmentalist — a wonderful guy — and has real concerns about saving the planet. In an heroic attempt to prevent a train loaded with fossil fuel from reaching a power station he had laid on the railway with his arms and legs across the rails. This didn’t go quite according to plan. In the first episode of ‘The Riggers’ he is interviewed for the job of aerial rigger, and in a powerfully dramatic scene he proves beyond doubt that he can climb ladders despite being limbless, by screaming repeatedly at Muff, “I can do the job, and if you don’t give it to me I’ll report you for disability discrimination!” Muff hugs him and they both cry.
Alisdair has yet to find love, and as the series progresses we see him attempt to find a partner, “a big strong guy who can haul me onto the roof!” he jokes. Alisdair is gay, but he doesn’t shout it from the rooftops.
The customers provide much of the humour and drama in this bitter-sweet series. Some of them are hard working and well-off, and thus obviously rather obnoxious. There are also drug addicts and petty criminals, all of whom the team obviously treat with the greatest respect and help out in every possible way. In one very touching episode Alisdair allows a young man who has been thrown out of art school following a misunderstanding in the toilets to share his tiny one-bedroom flat until he can get on his feet.
Many of the customers are old and therefore ignorant of the true realities of life; in fact one elderly man proudly declares that he is in favour of Brexit. In a series of hard-hitting but at the same time heart-warming scenes spread over several episodes the riggers come together as a team and take turns visiting this man until he finally he sees the truth and shouts “Brexiteers are all stupid!”
THE RIGGERS starts on BBC1 next Wednesday at 1.45pm. Another hit, just like ‘Doctors’! Don’t miss it!
On 20/07/2019 01:24, Bill Wright wrote:

I reckong you blew it there Bill.
Nothing about the BBC is exciting, new, or dramatic.
It's the same old political correctness served as cold as yesterday's dog sick.
too dark to read.

You are at the joking I hope but then again .......
On 20/07/2019 01:24, Bill Wright wrote:

And like all the other daytime dross the BBC transmit it will be prime time evening viewing the week after.
There will be an omnibus version broadcast on Saturday, and repeated on Sunday.
Give it a few months and there will be " classic" Riggers episodes broadcast on BBC4, starting with episode one.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 20/07/2019 07:42, alan_m wrote:

Alternatively the BBC could use the licence payers money to commission this new quality soap and then charge £5.99 a month for viewers to watch it on their new Britbox subscription service.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Don't you think the name Britbox is naff in the extreme, how many management meetings and focus groups did it take to come up with that little gem?
Brian
--
----- --
BBC Futures might be a nice name for the system. Brian
On 20/07/2019 08:41, Brian Gaff wrote:

I wonder if we will be able to watch Alf Garnet in full Silly-old-moo mode, or even the black & white minstrels on this 'channel'.?
Hopefully we will be able to view all the old Doomwatch, and Tomorrows World broadcasts.
On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 12:30:20 +0100, Andrew wrote:

That and Steptoe & Son (and Dad's Army perhaps) were about the only genuinely brilliant TV shows to ever come out of the BBC. They've been followed by 50 years of SHITE.
--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!

Surprised you missed out Fawlty Towers. Given you must have agreed with every word uttered by Basil. Perhaps you thought it a documentary.
--
*If you lived in your car, you'd be home by now *

On Saturday, 20 July 2019 15:08:11 UTC+1, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Fawlty Towers; Yes (Prime) Minister; almost anything with David Attenborough; Dr Who; I, Claudius; etc
Owain
On 20/07/2019 16:21, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Oh dear, how some people are taken in. David Attenborough is a fully paid-up NWO scumbag, who now clearly believes his own publicity.
On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 16:38:51 +0100, Farmer Giles wrote:

And the BBC, coming from the same angle, are perfectly happy to give him the platform he feels he deserves. All at the licence payers' expense, of course.
--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!

I would not say that, but certainly as time has gone on the play it safe cos we want to sell it abroad thing is very obvious. 1. take it all back in house 2. ask the public what they want but is not provided by the commercial sector 3 ask them how much they are prepared to pay for it. One has to realise that local radio and radio in general is always going to have to be provided by somebody, and I think a service with no adverts and hence no vested interests and format issues is still needed since we have all seen what the private sector is doing to commercial radio. There are huge networks being formed by the back door and banal and shallow content designed to be listened to for 20 mins at a time in a vehicle or on a smart phone. Somebody needs to supply the old markets which are still out there, even with streaming playlists and all of that. people like personalities and music they may not have experienced as well as controversial subjects and minority interests. You cannot bring the whole thing down to the level of its too expensive to do it. Brian
--
----- --
On 20/07/2019 15:08, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Basil Fawlty?
Alan Partridge?
On 21/07/2019 12:45, JNugent wrote:

'Allo 'Allo!

I always hoped to catch a glimpse of Mrs Slocombe's pussy.
--
Ian

On Sunday, 21 July 2019 17:20:03 UTC+1, Ian Jackson wrote:

I thought we did in the episde she* had kittens in the fitting room?
*P, not Mrs S.
I think we're all glad Mr Humphries didn't keep a rooster.
Owain
On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 09:43:20 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

See, Mr. Humphries was an excellent example of the sort of poofter I'd happily stick up for in the street if he was getting abused. But today's poofters have such an attitude problem they can look after themselves AFAIC. Fuck 'em.
--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!

On 21/07/2019 18:34, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Let us know if anyone stops you.