Mystery engine component

I was at an agricultural museum the other day looking at a very early Ferguson tractor engine (1937 I think) and there was an odd component on he side of the engine I couldn’t identify and it’s causing me sleepless nights. Okay, not really, but it’s bugging me a bit.

It’s the oblique pot shaped device with the brass “tap handle”. The spout-like part that is sticking out towards me is blanked off. It’s not a water pipe connection.

I did wonder if it might be some sort of grease pot (recharged by undoing the bolt at the top) to lubricate the drive chain/gear for the magneto and speed governor (on the other side of the engine).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It definitely looks like some sort of greaser, the sort where you give it 'half a turn, once a day'. I have one (rather bigger, and vertical) which greases the prop shaft on my little river cruiser.

Reply to
Chris Green

The pot diameter seems too large for that, and the tap shaft has a compression seal around it. Both of which suggest to me - water.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

In message snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.n et>, Tim+ snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.youkay> writes

I've no idea either. Are you happy for me to post this elsewhere where there are old engine nuts ?

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Although it may be being used as a greaser I think it has been repurposed from its original designed use. The angle and appendages are also a give away.

Reply to
Fredxx

Of course. How can I stop you? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Why wouldn’t a greaser have a seal? I don’t suppose that in such an early machine (one of the first Ferguson tractors) they would have made their own tap fittings. I imagine they would have used an off the shelf plumbing fitting.

But what possible purpose would a water fitting have there?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

several photos/videos of Ferguson-Brown Model-A seem to show the same diagonal pot with brass valve, so I don;t think it's a one-off repurposed item.

Reply to
Andy Burns

They'll be Whitworth of course......

Reply to
Chris Green

I've had a suggestion that it might be a self cleaning oil filter, which is a new one on me.

"You turn the 'tap' to scrape crud off the strainer which you drain out of the spigot on the bottom. "

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

But you'd need a 3/8ths Gripley.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

That was my first thought. It looks the right shape & size for an oil filter.

Reply to
wasbit

It must be an OEM part because the same thing can just be seen on this website

Andrew

The positioning of the spigot would certainly fit with it being used to drain crud into a jug or similar. Just not sure how effective any sort of self cleaning filter would be at cleaning the oil though.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Coolant drain valve - A strange arrangement though.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq