Multi meter ?

I think its about time I stopped using one of those screwdrivers that light up to show a live wire and get myself a multimeter. I do very little when it comes to electrical work unless pretty basic stuff will probably be used to check for live wires and not much else. So, I just want a cheap one that will do basics. Anything in particular I should look out for or have on the multi meter?

Reply to
ss

Would something like this be sufficient.

ss

GS38 compliant test prods.

Something like this is often more useful

than a multimeter.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

If that is *really* all you need, I would consider a "volt stick". These have the great advantage of sensing through insulation, and not giving you a "false positive" from inductive coupling (which you can get from a neon).

The same caveat applies as to a neon screwdriver: before assuming something is dead, make sure your device indicates "live" from a known live source. Do this every time you use it.

Reply to
newshound

That covers everything. If you don't need a 10A curent range, so does this at half the price:

NT

Reply to
meow2222

That one should hopefully reliably detect live wires, but may sometimes give false-positives.

Most modern multimeters have a very high input impedance on their voltage ranges, so they will sometimes read fairly high voltages (maybe

100V) on disconnected "floating" wires, that run in close proximity to live wires. Multimeters with low input impedance ranges such as the Fluke 117 avoid this problem.
Reply to
LumpHammer

OP would need to spend a whole lot more for a Fluke. I say get a cheap one and understand the potential issue, which occurs occasionally with almost all multimeters.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

A lot of these digital multimeters give spurious readings. An analogue one is better for use on mains electricity. And probably cheaper.

Don't leave the battery in it when it's out of use for more than a couple of days.

Reply to
harryagain

I've got a Draper 60792 - easily less than £15 from all the usual suspects. Does everything I've ever wanted from it, and takes abuse. Comes with a very useful rubber cover, and decent quality probes. I would say "I'd definitely buy the same again", but this is my third - they keep hiding, rather than breaking...

Reply to
Adrian

That is indeed the correct answer.

Reply to
ARW

If it really is just to be used for mains, I'd go for something like this:-

Easier to use than a meter with two test leads, and safer too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

newshound explained on 07/03/2015 :

I would second that, a wonderful piece of kit if you learn how to use it, understand its limitations and especially the safety implications if it fails to pick up the fact that a live, is actually live.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

OMG

2.90

have they really got that cheap. How do they pay for the plastics/box/instructions at that price!

I went for as job at Mega a couple of years ago and I got the impression they were still selling theirs for 500 and up

Reply to
tim.....

Ok you have all given me plenty of options. Thanks guys.

Reply to
ss

When they stopped making Avo 8s (also Megger) they were about £1000 inc VAT. I have one.

(I'd be wary of safety with the very cheap ones)

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'd be careful using cheap multimeters on the mains though.

I've got one, which works fine and is surprisingly accurate, but I wouldn't use it on the mains as the fuse is a little glass jobbie and there's virtually no separation between the PCB tracks for the input leads.

It's marked CAT III 600v / CAT II 1000v, but I think they just silk-screen that on all those cheap meters. Fine for low voltage, but no way I'd use it on mains.

Reply to
Caecilius

on 07/03/2015, Caecilius supposed :

They are OK for mains voltages, but I would not use one for any mains circuit with more than a few milliamps behind it.

Its not just the voltage it is the amperage too, to be wary of.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

+1

for the OPs described use I would agree.

Reply to
John Rumm

Highly unlikely to be cheaper these days.

Days?

Where are you buying your batteries from...?

Reply to
John Rumm

Quite.

There is an off setting on the DMMs here

Reply to
Chris French