Moss on roof

Bungalow, back end south facing. I was unhappily on the roof about 5 years ago scrapping and brushing the moss off. The tiles are very rough and are like steel. I'd read that stringing a length of copper wire over the ridge kills moss, so I did it. The moss returned on the back end of the roof, never mind and bollocks to it, I'm not going up there again. Since Autumn chunks of moss have been falling down almost every day. Maybe the copper wire takes time to work?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Round here it's the crows and rooks that dislodge the moss while pecking to find insects of some sort.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yeah, I've heard that too - from enough "different" sources (possibly here) that I was tempted when I was last up on the roof.

But generally (I would guess it's that 80/20 split) an awful lot of "things they don't tell you" turn out to be absolute bollocks. Which is the reason no one tells you.

A notable exception was when SWMBO was taking weekly injections of Avonex

- a beta interferon for MS. In some people it can produce a shitty 24-48 hours of "flu like symptoms", and it did in SWMBO. However, buried in a magazine was a tip that eating *fresh* pineapple before the injection would greatly reduce this. SWMBO tried it, and it eliminated these effects. Being of a scientific bent, she experimented and confirmed that eating pineapple prevented side effects. Not eating it and they developed.

We stopped there, but are both well aware of the placebo effect.

Of course the possible science is that pineapples are rich in bromelaides

- which have a noted anti-inflammatory effect.

Copper nails to kill trees, on the other hand ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

No Rod Hull impressions then?

Reply to
ARW

Does pineapple have an undesirable interaction with the drug, the same way that grapefruit can?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've heard the same re copper wire. I suspect it could be a question of concentration. One wire on a small roof may do the trick. One wire on a large roof may help but not cure the problem.

Wet and Forget is another product someone recommended but I've not tried it.

Reply to
Brian Reay

The best thing I've found for killing moss is benzalkonium chloride. It's the active ingrident in most patio and decking treatments, but is available much more cheaply as "BAC 50".

I buy 5 litres each year, which is enough to treat my drive at patio. I've not tried it on my roof yet though.

Reply to
Caecilius

Well it's not contra indicated, and SWMBO didn't seem to suffer for 10 years but that's anecdata, not research.

The more interesting thing is despite telling her consultant back in

2004, in 2014, not a single patient had been advised by the consultant - despite at least 10 SWMBO was in regular contact with trying it and mentioning to the same consultant how effective it seemed.

Even now, with t'internet, it seems to be a just a piece of folklore - but SWMBO has mentioned in on MS newsgroups, and people are still finding it effective. Except for the ones who use tinned pineapple and then sya "it doesn't work". But there really is no helping some people.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Wot?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

This is the first year that this has been happening.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Seems to have helped. I've had to clean the gutters out a couple of times.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

No moss on the drive. I'm too bloody old to climb back on that roof again.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

This one, I believe it was his last.

Fredxx

A decent spray might get far enough

Reply to
Fredxx

Maybe next year if I'm still around. I would have thought the sun would have killed the moss. The north facing roof is fine.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Wasn?t there a contributor on here when usenet was still in short trousers who manufactured shaped copper sheets for the the ridge as part of a business? Scottish based ISTR The components were a lot more substantial than a thin bit of wire.

Wonder if this is them.

GH

Reply to
Marland

They say the good die young, you should live forever! :-)

Reply to
Fredxx

Harsh

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Has the copper wire gone green?

Reply to
alan_m

One gets the impression that the medical mind runs on rails - probably something to do with being sued should things go awry. If it isn't part of the official diagnosis/treatment algorithm, it won't get mentioned. It's left to self-help groups and the like to spread the word. Arthritis is another similar area - anecdata suggests not consuming tomatoes and potatoes can ameliorate the discomfort, but you'll never hear that in a doctor's surgery.

Reply to
Spike