Mobile phone

Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price Navigation Robust good battery life mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data but have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that can withstand being dropped.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Huawei - if you don't want a rooted phone Xiaomi - if you do

All phones are sensitive to being dropped but having a wallet type of case improves the chances hugely. I cracked a screen once and had it repaired under warranty because there were no marks on the case.

mail?

Reply to
Fredxx

I'll suggest Here We Go (free) for navigation. Not perfect (not that any are) but pretty good. I use a 7 inch Samsung tablet with a very low data allowance which costs next to nothing. Not ideal as a phone but you can use it for calls and SMS, if you wish.

(I think it might be Samsung Galaxy TAB 4 7.0 SM-T235N WI-FI+4G 8GB but not certain.)

I can leave it on for days without having to charge it - mostly connected to wifi and checking mail from time to time, updates, etc. I don't need to charge it at all on the sort of journeys I make - that is, a few hours.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Moto G[1] and stick it in a impact resistant case...

[1] Lots of phone for the money, and a stock android experience.
Reply to
John Rumm

Define... I'm quite pleased with my Nokia 6.1 that costs around £150.

The app you use is up to you but I guess this means it must have GPS.

The Nokia 6.1's body is machined from a solid lump of aluminium.

The 6.1 will do several days on standby in a good signal area. At home, poor signal, a couple of days.

The app you use is up to you.

As has been said a case ups the abilty of a phone surviving being dropped and also decreases the chances of it being dropped in the first place. I find naked phones to be slippery little blighters.

The Nokia 6.1 is also an Android One device so doesn't come with a load of bloatware.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Mine is one of the older models with Gorilla glass and has survived a 6' drop onto concrete with only minor spalling of the front surface.

It isn't quite stock Android but the battery life is very good.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Our children have always had the Motorola Moto phones - for years.

- Around the £150-160 for the top of the range model

- Owned by Google, so first to receive every new Android upgrade

- It does everything a £400-£1000 phone does, just doesn't look as fancy (a little heavier/bigger)

- Very good camera

- Fast

- Battery is very good

- Support Fast Charge (at least twice as fast to charge)

- Takes SD card, so if memory an issue you buy a 64GB card for £15 and put it in (supports up to 256 GB I believe)

- Splash-proof

- 2 year warranty

- Plenty of cases/screen protectors/etc on eBay for pennies

- Dual SIM (if you buy the right model)

- Navigation is through software (every phone nowadays has the GPS hardware). Use Maps, Waze, or one of the many other free apps (Nokia do a pretty decent offline one).

- Mail is also software (app). It comes with a free one that is very good. Otherwise there are plenty free ones to choose from

For protection: buy a rubber/silicon case that covers everything but the screen. Hardly noticeable and VERY robust. You can safely drop it from your pocket to the ground. For the screen buy a glass screen protector. They suggest that you could hit it with a hammer without causing damage to the screen. Never tried that, but from experience it will protect your screen from pretty much EVERYTHING. It is really good. Both case and protestor are no more than a few pounds each on ebay and will last you the lifetime of the phone (buy a pack of 2 screen protectors, just in case).

We tend to upgrade them every 2 years or so and sell the old ones on ebay for around 40-50% of the original price

Look for deals on the MOtorola website, Amazon, or just a Google search.

To choose the model use gsmarena.com

Reply to
JoeJoe

Moto were only owned by google briefly (mainly so google acquired their patents, and maybe some of their best engineers) sold to Lenovo under 2 years later.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Motorola are owned by Lenovo not Google.

They are good enough, I have one, cost me £65 in Tesco two years ago.

Reply to
DJC

You are correct, of course.

Reply to
JoeJoe

I have always liked the Otterbox Folio cases for protection. Not the most glamorous but I like the fact that it doesnt lock the phone automatically when closed. Usually find them on eBay for a fraction of the Manufacturers site price.

Reply to
Robert

Another vote for the Nokia 6.1. I've been very pleased with mine.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I have and Xiaomi MI A2 which so far has worked well. I did try to unlock it for fun but was unsuccessful, perhaps just as well as one banking app said it would not work on a phone that had been unlocked.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Which bank? Root can be easily hidden from banking apps.

I had to wait a week for my unlock code. At least Xiaomi allow you to unlock the bootloader and its free.

Reply to
Fredxx

I have been happy with a couple of Moto G5's but have just gone over to a Huawei P smart 2019 which is OK. Personally I like the cases with a front that flips over the screen, but the fat rubbery ones with chunky corners seem to work OK too. Probably worth adding an extra glass screen protector. It looks as though the Huawei comes with one.

Reply to
newshound

Lots of food for thought. Someone has gifted me a redundant Microsoft something. (Does 4g so not very old) Doesn't meet any of the *drop* criteria but does meet the low cost one:-)

Curiously my news reader put your post in my kill file. I suspect someone else has used the *@nowhere.null* bit and Turnpike has picked up on that.

The biggest problem is that I am 15 years behind the learning curve on hand held technology:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Thank you for the link. It was Nationwide. I dislike the app as someone with the phone gets three goes at guessing a 4 digit pin number to access the account.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I would like to add to the list the ability to replace a knackered battery EASILY.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

These days that will limit you choice. The batteries in the Nokia 6.1, my Xiaomi and many of the Moto G... phones are not easy to change. You would need special tools and a youtube video to show you what to do to change the battery.

With the previous mobile phones I have had, the battery has to be removed to change the SIM.

Reply to
Michael Chare

As on my free one:-) Microsoft Lumia 640LTE Anyone any experience?

Reply to
Tim Lamb