Missing sub

All the companies he claimed to have worked with him seem to be denying any direct approval of the design. He may have hired their facilities for research or modelling but that doesn't mean he took any notice of any shortcomings in the design that may have been revealed.

He appears to have used the good name of other organisations solely for marketing purposes in much the same way as one mattress company is advertising NASA approves one material they are using for manufacture.

Reply to
alan_m

They are deliberately designed to do that to protect the driver. It's the equivalent of the crumple zone in your road car.

Reply to
alan_m

So no cite, didn't think so.

Reply to
Fredxx

I don't know either, but not prepared to make a claim about something I know very little about.

I suspect it is very soluble at those pressures, but guess some form or interface such as a plastic membrane will allow a rate of diffusion at a sufficiently slow rate where there is sufficient time to reach the surface. Naturally the hydrogen will expand on the way to the surface offsetting any potential issues.

Reply to
Fredxx

If you did know chemistry you wouldn't have said, "Nope, the bag would still burst on the way up." Only an idiot would fill a 'bag' with lithium dissolved in ammonia.

The same way petroleum products are taken down.

You're becoming more senile than ever. It's an incompressible liquid that can be in a fixed container. There is no need to carry it in a bag!

Reply to
Fredxx

And in expanding to 400 times its volume at depth it will cool, which could create its own problems.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Because that question is completely irrelevant, as I said.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Nothing to do with chemistry.

Pity we were discussing lifting bags.

How do you stupidly claim that lithium dissolved in ammonia. would be used to get the fragments of the sub to the surface ?

And just what would you actually do with the lithium dissolved in ammonia once it was there, other than in a lifting bag ?

<reams of your shit any 2 year old could leave for dead that you always end up with when you have got done like a f****ng dinner, as you always are, flushed where it belongs, as always>

Never said there was. Just what do you propose is done with it once you get it to the bottom, to recover the fragments of the sub ?

Reply to
Rod Speed

Nope. The front wing and its outriggers is nothing to do with the main monocoque enclosing the driver. It's only purpose is the keep the nose on the ground and steer the airflow. In no way does it 'crumple', carbon fibre structures cannot do that.

Reply to
Andrew

Well they’re certainly not designed to be crumpled zones, they’re just engineered to be exactly as strong as they need to be to resist aerodynamic forces, not impact forces.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Pity you didn't know lithium dissolved in ammonia was a liquid, and you call yourself a chemist

You're not very bright are you. It offers buoyancy in liquid form..

Now who was the idiot who said, "Nope, the bag would still burst on the way up"?

It offers buoyancy without issues of bottle gas and bags.

Reply to
Fredxx

Just one slight problem. Any contact with seawater and there would be a lot more hydrogen than you would know what to do with. Another minor problem would be keeping the ammonia liquid at atmospheric pressure and ambient temperature before the dive. Yet another one would be finding something inert enough to contain it. I know that sodium dissolved in liquid ammonia attacks telfon so I would be surprised if lithium would be much kinder to its container. John

Reply to
John Walliker

The whole point of lithium dissolved in ammonia is that it becomes a liquid at STP.

Can't find many cites:

Sodium in Liquid Ammonia Sodium is quite soluble in liquid ammonia, forming a saturated solution which contains 5.7 molecules of ammonia per atom of sodium. The density of the saturated solution is 0.578 g./cc. at — 3 3 . 8 ° C ; the specific conductance is 5047, and the atomic conductance is 0.800 Χ 104. Considerable expansion occurs when a metal is dissolved in ammonia, and it may be pointed out that a saturated solution of lithium in ammonia is the lightest liquid known at room temperature, having a density of only

0.477 g./cc

And:

Though not sure why is doesn't go to Lithium Amide but hey. Most papers on solutions of lithium in ammonia mention a wide range of conductivity depending on lithium content.

I entirely agree if it is used that way. But given any sensible buoyancy can't be a gas so it's rather limited to liquids.

I wasn't thinking of using the mix in the same way as petroleum or hydrocarbons, I suspect pentane and hexane would be the most likely suspects, but in say thin steel walled containers that can be dropped.

Either way the idea was a throw away comment about being the lightest known liquid at STP. Some here thought it was to fill a bag. That wasn't the idea.

Another suggestion here was using a chemical reaction to produce a gas to inflate an external bag. That does sound an alternative better method!

Reply to
Fredxx

I never said that, f****it.

But you need a f****ng LIFTING BAG to use that bouyancy and you still haven't managed to explain how you actually get it from whatever you use to get it to the bottom into the lifting bag, f****it.

<reams of your shit any 2 year old could leave for dead that you always end up with when you have got done like a f****ng dinner, as you always are, flushed where it belongs, as always>
Reply to
Rod Speed

Yep, he has never ever had a f****ng clue.

Or to the lifting bag even if you did somehow manage to get it in there,.

He's completely off with the f****ng fairys, as always.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Pity about the fact that that would be crushed by the water pressure, f****it.

You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

Nope, you STILL have the problem of it going bang on the way up, f****it.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Presumably at room temperature ?

One assumes the containers it would be in, are outside the vessel. So it's permanent buoyancy.

Reply to
Tim Streater