Meter reading

Is utility meter reading getting worse? I ask because we've had an electricity bill (from Powergen) where we've been overcharged by 10,000 kW hrs - the reader apparently didn't spot that the dial on the 10k wheel was between 9 and 0 and not after 0. I'll bet the errors err on the over side.

Also, how much does it cost to replace a dial meter with a modern one? Is this worth doing?

E.

Reply to
eastender

My water bill was £50 which is way out of line with expectations. The company confirmed it was a read but I don't believe the cover had been lifted. He either hadn't bothered at all or got them mixed up. I expect little else from many companies these days, I'm afraid.

I thought they were done as a matter of course. Ours was changed to digital about five years ago.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Yes AIUI there's a rolling replacement programme. There's no cost to the customer.

david

Reply to
Lobster

Ask them if they'll change it.

Reply to
mogga

No, you are watching the bills and checking your meter so any errors will be detected and corrected.

Yes lecky meters should be replaced by the REC every ten years at no cost to the customer. What you get as a replacement varies, some times an electronic jobbie, sometimes a refurbished spinning disc one.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Some meters can be read remotely without lifting the cover... Anyway I'm= sure you have checked what the meter actually says and what the meter reading on the bill says tally.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Is it the primary supplier that does this or is there a third-party common organisation like I presume Transco is?

E.

Reply to
eastender

If that's the case, it doesn't work !

Anyway I'm

Indeed. The revised bill was £150

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

In those situations I keep quiet and keep the money in my bank account until they catch up...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yeah it's fine if you do actually put the money aside... I didn't bother and last year (after ages of no readings) suddenly found myself having to pay an electric bill 1000 GBP higher than usual. And that *hurt*!

David

Reply to
Lobster

I wish I had your self-control ! ;-)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Do you have a reference for this that I could wave at my supplier? It's never been done - although the gas and water have.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Known around these parts as an ESMA change (electricity supply metering act IIRC)

The time period between changes depends factors such as the type of premises. Some changes may be as much as 25 years apart IIRC, others

12-15 years.

Sadly I don't have any cites on the time periods :-}

Although the year of manufacture on the meter may be waaaay back in the past, if it has a red spot on the glass, it was re-certified - this was happening all the way through the 1980s from what I remember, possibly longer.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

When I was working on a remote meter reading project in the early 1990's, the requirments REC's put on meter suppliers was a 40 year expected lifetime and a 10 year guarantee. (The 40 year expected lifetime ruled out the use of LED and LCD displays in the early 1990's.)

There are 4 meters in different houses I know the age of, and they are aged 17 (age of house), 21 (since meter last replaced),

25 (since meter moved during renovation), and 49 (age of house).
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Have a dig about on the Ofgem site but I hope you have better luck than me, links back to Homepage 404...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

One can give them a hard luck story. I had a similar situation and offered the supplier the choice of spreading the payment over 6 months or my business going to another supplier. They went for the first.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Mine was recently replaced, the chap said "new electronic ones (the only ones we are now fitting) are good for 10 years. The mechanical types would do 15 years between recals, but we are now scrapping them."

Reply to
<me9

My recently replaced one was date stamped 1953, but was fitted early 90s after recalibration to replace a 1976 model.

Reply to
<me9

I used to do this but with the way prices keep going up these days I'd be more inclined to accept high estimates and effectively get some of next year's energy at this year's prices.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

My most recent bill was severely underestimated so I suspect that (Powergen at least) have cottoned onto that. I noticed as well that they no longer have an automated 'report your reading' line. You can do it but have to sit in a queue with everyone else to speak to a person in the call centre.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May