low energy bulbs again - how low energy?

It's naievete coupled with PC bollocks.

Today, while in the U.S., I listened to the newly regenerated Hillary Clinton on NPR (National Public Radio). She has been criticised for being a hard bitch and not sufficiently in tune emotionally with her target audience. So out came the glycerine teardrops and on today's roundup of news stories she announced that she and Bill had had an energy audit and were swapping out all of the lightbulbs on their ranch property for CFLs.

Now we know for certain that the whole CFL game is total bullshit - that is if we didn't know it before.

Which gay, baby whales should we nuke for Jesus? ... or doesn't it matter as long as they taste OK with mashed potatoes?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Isn't it flattering, though, to have one's posts read in such detail :-)

Thanks for posting this, Clive, I don't see original posts from that source.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No.

I know perfectly well what an "ad hominem" argument is, thanks.

You see, Dynamo Hansen, Mary and Benn *are* innumerate.

Reply to
Huge

Who need Maths, when with God, it All Adds Up?

;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Precisely so. The Green movement gave all those who Need to Believe in Something somewhere to go once Marxism failed and God died.

It's an enormous pity, given that there is a kernel of truth and rationality in what they say.

Reply to
Huge

ITYM

VA = Apparent Power

W = Real Power

either that or you are proposing a change to the first law of thermodynamics...

Let's be clear on this point. Domestic customers pay for the amount of "heat + work done" by the electrical energy they consume, not by the amount of current which flows or what power factor pertains to that current.

Rumble

Reply to
Dave Osborne

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 22:25:31 GMT someone who may be "The Medway Handyman" wrote this:-

20p is the rate at the moment.
Reply to
David Hansen

In message , Derek Geldard writes

Or a uterus - we had the story of that in graphic details some years ago

It's why she's so fit - she has nothing left to go wrong any more

Reply to
geoff

But not on the harmonics (particularly the odd ones). That leads to silly things like the neutral terminals burning off your transformers... :-)

Ho yes.... but adding de-tuning inductors to your nice shiny PF caps (as often becomes necessary on distribution systems) starts to get complex and costly. Ever priced up for a multi-stage PF correction system? The prices start to look like phone numbers. :-( AFAICT all non-PF corrected CFLs are capacitive anyway, so as a minimum you need an inductor in series with each to correct them. There are PF corrected ones available now (I don't know about UK availability though), with this built in. :-)

Reply to
mick

Hmm - might not be able to arrange that at short notice, so correction happily accepted! :-)

Correct. That's why we have kWh and not kVAh meters. ;-)

Reply to
mick

12 black jacks in fact

packet of smiths crisps (with proper blue salt twist) were a little too expensive at 4d

Reply to
geoff

Not worth returning the bottles I guess. When I was visiting Zambia in the late 1980s you paid more for the bottle (returnable) than the contents!

When I was visiting New York I few years back, if I understood correctly everyone selling drink cans was obliged to accept returns for something like 1c per can. Not worth the average person's time, but those who would otherwise be begging would collect up all the discarded ones and return them.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

If they talk to Dave he can probably give them some advice on wind turbines.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

If you're talking about me you're wrong.

I have everything except a willy.

It's already gone wrong and been repaired and certified perfct.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Mary Fisher writes

You said you'd killfiled me ... they never do, do they ?

Reply to
geoff

Sorry, I had to have a new hd and all my kf folk escaped.

I'll do it now and thanks for reminding me.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In article , Derek Geldard writes

Plants, matching colour when printing,and IMO reading.

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

Yes, Janet, but even daylight is different according to season, time and weather conditions.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Obvoiusly they'll be used as weapons nowadays.

Reply to
whisky-dave

It does that's why you usually can't remove an incandescant bulb from it's holder/socket until it's been off a while. Which isn't such a problem with CFL or LEDs.

Reply to
whisky-dave