London Congestion Charge

Idly musing about life at work the other day, electric cars came up, and their range. We struck upon a solution. A trailer. A trailer with a diesel generator on it, the electricity going back to the car. Could we run it on red diesel, and not have to pay the congestion charge?

Reply to
misterroy

It would have to be some generator ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Isn't that essentially what a self-charging hybrid has, but carried on board?

Reply to
nightjar

I think you'd face the argument that the red diesel is in breach of the requirement[1] that it not be used "as fuel for a road vehicle" (subject to the exceptions for tractors etc). It is after all just an articulated diesel-electric.

[1] s.12 Hydrocarbon Oil Duties Act 1979
Reply to
Robin

I was wondering why the EV charging socket that cost the customer £300 last week is powering a car that can do about a maximum of 20 miles when using it's batteries before the ICE kicks in.

Make that 12 miles if the AC or heaters are on.

Reply to
ARW

It is, but by having a trailer you'd only need to cart the genny around for long journeys. For town driving, battery power would normally be okay.

Reply to
GB

A friend of mine rigged up a small trailer upon which was a petrol generator to be towed behind (and trickle charge) an electric mobility scooter and won his argument (can't remember whether ploddery or tax) that the scooter was at all times powered bby its internal battery

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

If the battery being charged wasn't directly providing energy for motive power I can see the argument. As soon as they are linked to powering the motors it becomes a diesel powered hybrid.

Reply to
Fredxx

They aren't nearly so crude.

Reply to
Brian Reay

That very much depends on whether you are a farmer or not, but I have heard that the Red Diesel exception is one of the things that might be withdrawn to tackle global warming. Does any other country have such a scheme?

I don't somehow think your plan would work as towing a trailer would I imagine reduce the range and sitting on the e road running your generator might be seen as actually powering the vehicle. I do wonder how long it will be before many generators, compressors and the like are regulated. These things sit there often for hours running doing nothing and are hardly pollution free. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

We have to do something to avoid the problems caused by "greens".

Reply to
dennis

Just how much driving do you do in the congestion zone? Are you a cab or something?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

how outlandish ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Electric cars can't be driven whilst the charge lead is plugged in shit-fer-brains. The solution is a plug in hybrid.

Reply to
harry

The range extender on a BMW is a separate generator and engine that does charge the battery while you are driving.

Its mounted under the bonnet somewhere.

Its not a hybrid you can't power the car from the generator.

Reply to
dennis

it's still a "cheat" that likely to see it designated as "not an electric vehicle" by those people offering discounts for such

Reply to
tim...

who cares?

Reply to
dennis

Would that apply if you drove on electric only, parked, started the generator and left it charging the battery for the journey home?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Possibly not.

But finding somewhere to park /in/ the CC Zone with an unattended diesel generator running could be interesting.

Reply to
Robin

Quite. I have to laugh at all these ways of getting round the CC, but unless travelling through it (in which case why not go round it) how do you get round the costs of parking in it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)