Load weight of wall cupboards

Hi, anyone know what the average max load weight of kitchen wall cupboards are? They are the usual MFI numbers and the wall brackets are SECURELY fastened using rawplugs into GP1 blocks,

I'm not after hanging small cars off them, just wanted to know if it would be OK to place a 4 piece dinner set in them as It's a pain bending up and down to put them away under the sink!!

ta

Reply to
Staffbull

Well.....I use a set of cheap MFI kitchen cupboards in my workshop to hold the bits and bobs from my cylindrical grinder. These are solid cast iron chucks, faceplates, internal spindles etc and are seriously heavy ! I run a batten under the cupboards so that they not only are held by the shear force of the normal fixings, but also have bottom support, and they stand up to it amazingly well. YMMV !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I have a 12 piece in mine. It hasn't fallen off the wall.

TBH I didn't even think twice about it, are your cupboards particularly flimsy

tim

Reply to
tim.....

IIRC, in the old days MFI wall units were held by 2 screws through the hardboard back, and this was pinned to the carcass with tacks.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Yeeeeesss, this would appear to be true. I was presented with a couple of these in a rented house recently and was asked to fettle them. As appearance was not an issue a batten beneath the bottom and the top (also pinning to wall) did the trick. It was two screws through the hardboard back. Eeek! No confirmation they were MFI mind.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

You're going back further than I ever fitted a kitchen (1989 IIRC). The MFI ones that I then had, had four screws through battens which were fixed through the sides. Agreed, a hardboard back did fit over this on the inside. They also rested (if only slightly) on a row of tiles.

I had the same set of dishes in them as well.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Doesn't answer your question, but:

A pair of adjustable DIN68840 (the three way adjustable sort) hanging brackets are rated to 70kg.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

Sounds similar to whats on these, few plates/bowls will be OK I'd imagine then :-)

Reply to
Staffbull