Lighting circuit...switch live or neutral

Because although in theory the neutral should be at earth potential it isn't always. And when servicing gas equipment, a spark from this situation could be lethal - as an example. So isolation means just that. Of course a faulty or poor earth could also result in sparks under some conditions if the bonding isn't correct, so I often wonder why this isn't isolated too?
--
*A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory *

Stefek Zaba wrote:

The somewhere could also have been an avionics wiring manual (where is it standard practice to switch the returns.... ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

or perhaps modern automotive practices - my brother (trained landrover & renault technician) tells me that switched returns are now commonplace. Can't remember why he said that was. Something about increased longevity of the switches or components I think.
--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
strung together this:

Many domestic appliances use switched neutrals for some reason so all the copmponents have a permanant live feed. I think it's something to do with spikes and surges through equipment at switch-on.
--

SJW

of
It's so they can easily use N type power mosfet switches which have less loss than P types or N types used in high side switching.