Legalities of changing sockets and brakes in England?

This is insane. Legally (like anyone pays any attention to these laws) you cannot do simple things like fitting an electrical socket to your own home, but you can change the brakes on your car. The second one is FAR more dangerous to other people!

Commander Kinsey

I'm not sure about that.

Bad brakes are less likely to cause:

While poor electrical work often leads to fire.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Nowadays only in your own home, only endangering you or your own family. But if you end up with no brakes, you could kill many innocent strangers by crashing into them. Why do you think cars are inspected annually for safety but houses aren't?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

While I'm no fan of Part P and I'm not defending it, perhaps you'd be less irate if you checked a decent source.

That one has obvious contradictions. Eg: Look at the entry referring to sockets in both lists. (Item 1 in first list, 3&4 in second list.)

Reply to
Brian Reay

I guess it's one of those rules that nobody understands. A (Scottish, therefore not subject to part P) electrician told me you couldn't even replace a lightswitch in England without a certificate.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It's not about safety.  The electrician's union owns more government lawmakers than the mechanic's union.

Reply to
Bob Pringle

Which electrician and which mechanic are you referring to?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Did you read his post at all? He referred to a union, not an individual.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Did you not see where the apostrophes were at all? They referred to an individual's union in each case.

Reply to
GB

You make the assumption he's one of the few who puts the apostrophes in the right place. Most will write "electrician's union" to mean the union for all electricians.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Indeed. We'd be better off with no government at all. Why should we have a group of people watching over us? There should be a "none" on the voting form.

I do bugger all on my car, usually because something that needs replacing is old enough to be rusted solid and I either break it, the tool, or my hand, trying to free it. But electrical work is very easy.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Prick.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Doesn't stop him from being a serial apostrophe abuser, however.

That should have been electricians' union and mechanics' union, as any skoolboy knows.

Reply to
Tim Streater

He's obviously not.

Only the illiterate would do that...the same sort of people who think plural's take apostrophe's.

Reply to
GB

Heterosexual mails tend to be pour spellers.

Reply to
Rusty Boldt

I'll assume you refer to the last sentence. So, you can't change a lightbulb yourself?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Go take your OCD medication, we're not interested.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Almost nobody puts apostrophes at the end of a word anymore.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I know an electrician named Bob.  I also know a mechanic named Bob.

My original statement was:

"Bob's union owns more government lawmakers than Bob's union. "

But I realized that was confusing.  So I reworded it to:

"The electrician's union owns more government lawmakers than the mechanic's union"

I'll try harder next time.

Reply to
Bob Pringle

Tim Streater is one of those moronic OCD fuckwits who can't understand a sentence unless it's perfectly grammatically correct. Like anyone places apostrophes' like that anymore.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey