led floodlight

I'm after a recommendation for a LED floodlight with inbuilt PIR BUT with the additional override function - the type where the mains supply to the light can be turned on-off-on within a short period so the the light remains on until the mains is again turned off.

Friends have purchased two lights hoping they had this function but have found that there is no override of the PIR timing function. 10W or 20W will meet the requirement to light a maximum 10m area. Light pollion for neighbours and passing planes will not be problem,

Reply to
alan_m

For mine I fitted a 2-gang plate, 1 switch for the PIR and 1 for direct-on. Rand 3+E, with 1 wire to the lamp. This gives me a local Off switch, but it could be done with a single 2-way switch, one way via PIR and the other to the lamp. Needs another way of fully off. Note: my PIRs are seperate from the luminaires.

Reply to
PeterC

Not an ideal solution. This will be going into a freinds' rented property where and changes to the electrics cannot be DIY. Changing the external 500W halogen floodlight for a "like for like" 10/20W using the existing wiring and external junction box may not be noticed :)

The problem with some LED/PIR units advertised with a manual override is that the manual override consists of setting the timer control to maximum making it a simple on/off operation by applying/removing the mains voltage. What is required is a normal PIR operation that is easily overridden sometimes.

Reply to
alan_m

I recently fitted one of these.

Too soon for feedback on performance in practice but I was impressed by the range of adjustments and by the way wireless remote worked from inside the house (which allows manual override).

Reply to
Robin

Hi Robin,

I recently bought one of these (warm white instead of cool) however my remote needs pointing directly at the front of the light to operate it... It certainly wouldn't work from inside the house (yet I'd like it to!).

It sounds like your remote might a radio one? Mine definitely has an IR LED on the top of it. Here are some pics of my box and remote (labelled JIR2458) - is it the same as yours?

It is only reading Alan's original post that has made me realise that without a remote that can function from inside I too won't have a manual override!

Reply to
Mathew Newton

You are not making a new circuit, and even covering the same path as the old cable. You are allowed to 'extend' circuits in your own home, or as far as I know even a rented one.

I have often wondered if between tenants, as an owner occupier, you could carry out work that would normally need a certificate!

Reply to
Fredxx

D'oh!

a. that is the same (save for the colour temp.)

b. I'm ashamed to say I didn't look at the remote, just misread the specs. ("microwave sensor and remote control")

c. the remote does work from inside the house *but* only because the sensor is in line of sight of the window over the drawer under where the remote is stowed. It's a window with no fancy coatings on the glass though, so even that's not guaranteed.

Move over Homer, there's a new chump on the block.

Reply to
Robin

PIR separate is the way to go. So many folk round here seem to have them inbuilt and apparently many can follow the path of the local fox as it moves from garden to garden. grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Ah, yes, that'll be the difference. Mine's not visible through the window so for me the remote is unfortunately more of a change-the-settings-without-a-ladder feature. All that said, it seems a decent enough light and comes with a 3yr warranty for some reassurance.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Sounds like a job for an off-axis parabolic mirror ;)

Reply to
Robin