Laptop - worth increasing RAM?

Hmm, I can get the site to give scroll bars on every page if I select BUT ONLY if I select a different country to the UK.

None of the UK pages give me scroll bar in either Firefox or Edge. I've even tried Firefox in safe mode (hold down shift whist selecting/starting firefox) with no luck.

Reply to
alan_m

And if your mobo can support it, swapping the SATA3 SSD to a NVME M2 drive can help with the speed of teh virtual ram....

An SSD on SATA3 will top out at 560 MB/s ish whereas a Samsung 970 will top out at around 32 GB/s....

Reply to
No Name

yes scrolly wheel, space bar, or cursor keys that's not so unusual nowadays, is it?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Indeed 6Gb/s SATA is a bit of a bottleneck for decent SSDs...

Reply to
John Rumm

I get no scrollbars. Can scroll - using mouse wheel (actually, Microsoft wedge mouse so not even a real wheel). Or using Pg Dn key.

Using latest Firefox on fully updated Windows 10.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Micron is the parent company of the retail Crucial DIMM outlet. The theory was, that Crucial DIMMs would use Micron chips, but strangely, that hasn't always been the case. And that might be the case now (if a Crucial ships, it might have Samsung chips on it). Micron also sells Micron branded DIMMs. The Crucial side of the business handles "overclocker RAM".

"By Anton Shilov December 04, 2020

Micron's Fab 11, located near Taoyuan City, was taken offline by an unexpected power outage that lasted for a little over an hour. According to United News, the factory immediately activated its safety mechanisms and procedures to avoid casualties and minimize losses. After the power supply resumed, the factory restarted, and the company is now assessing the consequences of the outage."

Typically when this happens, 12 weeks of production in the pipe are wiped out, and all the wafers are discarded. That's a "whole quarter of production". That's gotta hurt. If Micron has multiple fab buildings, in different countries, then not all their production is affected.

Most of the wafers are inside machines, in the middle of reactive ion etch or doping or whatever. Very few wafers should be in robot boats, flying around the plant to the next station. The wafers in the robots could be saved. The wafers in the machines, not at all. We're talking tolerances of nanometers and during a power failure, a little excess material might get sputtered on the wafer, a valve might open and the wrong gas might issue forth. So stuff inside machines are just turfed, and the machines cleaned out.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

yes, but only using a scroll wheel. They have disabled scroll bars

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Agreed. It seems bizarre to positively remove something like scroll bars which probably existed and worked without any specific action at all.

I wonder if they are mis-detecting the device being used? Maybe the site "thinks" it is a phone rather than a laptop/desktop.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Looks deliberate

html { scroll-behavior: smooth; scrollbar-width: none; overflow-x: hidden; overflow-y: scroll; max-width: 100%; }

and they have plenty of browser/phone specific stuff in the html, so I doubt they're serving up different content based on what browser they're detecting, so have sent the wrong version.

As I said, I didn't even notice the lack of scroll bars, I always use mouse wheel or space bar to whizz down a page (in TB as well as FF) a page has to be *very* long for me to start reaching for the scroll thumb to get to a specific part of it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Its only on their UK pages. Select any other country and scroll bars appear.

Reply to
alan_m

It is definitely the luck of the draw. The only one I have ever had fail so completely bricked itself that nothing could see it or any data at all. It wasn't so much a failing drive as no longer really there.

That is more like the fault I have seen. One morning it basically isn't there any more and nothing by way of software can alter that.

Unfortunately I don't have any reflow solder kit.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Yup I have seen that - but not that often. I was able to recover one of those with the reflow trick.

If you have nothing else to loose[1], then a hot air paint stripper and some layers of tinfoil for shielding can do it.

[1] if the data are important, then send it for professional data recovery.
Reply to
John Rumm