Knots tutorial

The other day I was thinking about tying a cover over a hole in an outbuilding, but I had no rope etc, but even if I did, i have no suitable knots in my brain to tye things tightly with. Great I thought, online will tell me, but no, it seems you need eyes these days to be taught knots. I know, I should have joined the scouts when young, but I was not that sort of person. At the moment although there are videos and tutorials on line, all that I have found use pictures oor videos to do it. Being blind I want the person to say, you pass the loop you just made underneath and to the right etc, but it seems it now all pictures. The guy on the video says as you can see hear, or you do this then this, very helpful matey. Anyone got a good site?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , Brian Gaff writes

No I wear glasses.

Reply to
bert

And now that is out of the way.... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If you want to secure the end of a rope to something, one of the simplest ways is the round turn and two half hitches. Technically, it is a hitch, rather than a knot, but I don't suppose you care about the differences between a knot, a hitch, a bend and a tie, even if I could remember them.

Take the free end of the rope and pass it around a post or through a hole, bringing back alongside the the other bit of rope, which is known as the standing part. Now take the free end around the post or through the hole, in the same direction as before, and bring it back alongside the standing part. That is the round turn. From now on, keep a bit of tension on the rope, so that the standing part stays taut.

You now pass the free end once around the standing part and tuck it under itself so that, when you pull on the free end the loop tightens and holds itself in place. That is the first half hitch. You now make a second half hitch further along the standing part in exactly the same way and in the same direction as the first and pull that tight. You have now made a round turn and two half hitches.

If you expect a heavy load on the rope, you can add one or more round turns, but you never need more than two half hitches.

I hope that makes sense. I am told I am a fairly useless instructor.

Reply to
Nightjar

Rod Speed wrote

the-plan/

There are others not in Engrish

Reply to
Jabba

Just a thought, wrap the rope round whatever it is any old way, then pull tight and secure the ends with a big nylon cable tie?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Bollocks. I found his description of how to tie that knot perfect.

We all have moods, Rod, and we all act differently in our moods. Your default action seems to be to lash out in an unjustifiably arrogant manner. It's tedious.

John

Reply to
Another John

Rod Speed wrote

Whooosh

Reply to
Jabba

I can tie most knots ... and some would not be easy to put into words ... bowline is probably OK. it might be a lot easier to learn if you have a sighted person tie the knot you want form an on-line video, and you copy step by step as they explain each step ... you can stop or ask for more details as you go ... Where are you, be glad to help if I'm nearby.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Not sure if this is instantly helpful, but cavers place great emphasis on b eing able to tie knots in total darkness. If you are able to locate a cavi ng club or even just someone experienced in SRT (Single Rope Technique) nea r you they might be willing to teach you how to tie knots and, because of t heir requirement to be able to work in darkness. might make good teachers.

Hope that helps

Richard

Reply to
RJS

In article , Nightjar On 05/08/2014 07:53, Rod Speed wrote: ...

Well I tried following your instructions by 'doing' (I'm sure I'm not the only one) and it was easier to do it than to read it - and it worked.

I think that I ended up with the good old fashioned first aiders' reef knot (right over left and under, left over right and under) securing the turns.

As an aside; I'm sure you know that teaching a *skill* requires a different approach to other teaching. Your reply to Brian was only the first step in the normal (four step) process of teaching a skill and as such it deserved ONLY positive feedback.

John M

Reply to
JTM

On 05/08/2014 10:28, JTM wrote: ...

It should have looked like a clove hitch around the standing part.

Thank you. I don't actually take any notice of Rod's opinions. He has demonstrated many times that he is only capable of destructive criticism, often on subjects he obviously has no knowledge of. It can be amusing to wind him up, but I am beginning to think he might have a personality disorder and that doing so is not really fair.

The problem I have with instructing is that I have difficulty knowing just how to pitch it to the knowledge level of the person being taught. I tend to assume that things that are obvious to me, often after many decades of doing something, are also obvious to others.

Reply to
Nightjar

2 pennorth from my long dead girl guide mother.... left over right and then right over left gives you a reef knot.
Reply to
Tim Lamb

Flippin eck, I learn that, bowline, round turn and two half hitches, sheepshank, clove hitch, and franchisers knot from my sisters girl guide shit.

There were a couple more that I never got good at but they escape me for now.

Also how to make a turks head knot and how to splice rope...

I can also knit...and sew...and plait and crochet a bit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher