Kitchen lights under bath room - regulations?

I know about the zones for electrical installations within the bathroom, but how does this relate to lights in the room below the bathroom?

I'm shortly going to be installing flush eyeball downlighters in my kitchen, and with the planned locations there will be one underneath the bath, one near the toilet and one near the bathroom sink.

I do intend to make the bathroom floor above almost completely water proof (treated boards, painted over with bitumen, plastic sheets ontop of that with double bonded seals at the joins and then tiles on top of all that).

What do other people do in this situation? Should I just install LV downlighters as they would be safer? Do I need to install lights with and IP rating, and if so, which rating? Thanks again for any and all advice.

Seri

Reply to
Seri

On 10 Jan 2005 06:28:41 -0800, "Seri" strung together this:

The zones are for things you can touch whilst in the bath, not about getting wires wet. I very much doubt you could touch the kitchen lights whilst stood in the bath.

And as for LV spots instead, how do you think they work? There is still 230V running to them under the floor.

Install any lights you want in the kitchen, and don't ask any more daft questions. ;-)

Reply to
Lurch

I suspected this was the case, but rather find out this way before I go doing the work...

Reply to
Seri

In regards to the new regulations, exactly how would anyone actually determine when any electrical work was either started or completed ?

obviously, if something's installed technically outwith the regs it'll be visually apparent but how will anyone know if a jobs been started before or after Jan 01 05 ?

RT

Reply to
[news]

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:23:03 GMT, "[news]" strung together this:

What's that got to do with this? The project here isn't within the scope of Part P.

They won't.

Reply to
Lurch

"Lurch" wrote | What's that got to do with this? The project here isn't within the | scope of Part P.

It is, because it's a kitchen.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:12:09 -0000, "Owain" strung together this:

Ah, forgot about that bit. I was thinking 'not in a bathroom so it's ok'.

Just ignore Part P, it's easier.

Reply to
Lurch

Regarding the LV lights... I was contemplating having the transformers outside of the range of the bath/toilet/sink so that only 12v was running under these parts.

As it turns out, this is looking like the answer anyway as SWMBO has taken a shine to a set of downlighters for the kitchen.

Reply to
Seri