Keeping paddling pool clean

The kids have an inflatable paddling pool (about 12' by 6') which stays out there for the school, holidays at least. They don't use it every day, but most days...

The problem is the green muck that appears on teh bottom of the pool. It happens very quickly in this weather. Clearly we can empty and clean but it's a nuisance, and a waste of water.

Is there anything non-toxic we can use to prevent this? I know there are swimming pool chemicals that will do the job, but this is just a plastic inflatable (and not that big).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Basically it's swimming pool chemicals you need. They're designed for the job.

Rgds

Andy R

Reply to
Andy R

We get the children to empty the pool with buckets which they love the buckets get emptied on the flowers which they love. I then refill the pool from metered water which I do not love :-)

Chemicals or refilling are the only full solution. Keeping the pool out of the sun helps but is not really practical.

Andy

Reply to
me

Sorry, didn't make it clear. I don't mind using swimming pool chemicals, but was worried about the effect on a plastic inflatable...

Reply to
Bob Eager

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 10:42:47 +0100, "Andy R" strung together this:

But don't just mash 'em all up in one bucket! ;-)

Reply to
Lurch

What about going down your local aquatic centre and buying a whole army of pond snails?

I'm sure they'd love the green feast.

Perhaps you could eat the snails in a garlic butter when school holidays are over and the pool is packed away?

Reply to
Pet

I wouldn't trust them on an inflatable paddling pool.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

An opaque cover over it when not in use helps, but it only delays the inevitable.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

That was my original thought. I was hoping, perhaps, for some common household substance that would work and not poison the kids (too much!).

Reply to
Bob Eager

If there was such a substance one would surely use it in swimming pools!

Reply to
usenet

When I was a kid my Dad used to sprinkle pool chlorination powder into our paddling pool to stop it going green. Got a large tub from a pool supplier and put a scoopfull in the water every so often. Water smelt, well like swimming pool water. Problem was fogetting to put it in and pool going green and you having to start again with clean water. Probably did attack the plastic but probably no more than the sun did.

Reply to
Ian Middleton

Well, in this case a life of a few days would be enough. And the economics are different...I wouldn't mind if it was a bit more expensive (but uneconomic for a full size pool).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Add some disinfectant (Milton -the stuff to clean babies bottles, safer with kids).

Reply to
zaax

re green stuff in pools:

the 2 standard approaches are

  1. chlorine based chemicals - not sure what theyd do to your garden though.

  1. colloidal copper and silver. The copper preevnts green plant growth, the silver prevents bacterial contamination. It is done by passing tiny current through 2 electrodes of copepr, and 2 of silver. Very very cheap to run, cheap to buy. Not common becoming more popular.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

You could add a splash of bleach, not lavatory cleaner, the stuff sold as "thin bleach". It doesn't need much.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built