Just what you lot need

https://www.facebook.com/1613213145559715/photos/a.1614007252146971.1073741828.1613213145559715/1651987558348940/?type=1&theater check the bottom RH corner.

Very good:-)
--
Adam

On Monday, 31 August 2015 08:57:55 UTC+1, ARW wrote:

I think at six I knew more about electrics than some of your 'fresh meat' :-)
Owain

The latest one did not like being told what to do (probably the first time in his life he has been made to do something against his will) and he knows less about electrics than my cat.
--
Adam

Why wasn't that last detected before he got to be an apprentice and told to fuck off ?

Because Adam’s cat knows really quite a lot about electrics?
--
Jón Fairbairn snipped-for-privacy@cl.cam.ac.uk
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2014-04-05)
On Mon, 07 Sep 2015 08:51:02 +0100, Jon Fairbairn wrote:

...and because the point of an apprenticeship is to teach him?

Still makes sense to start with those who know something about electrics already if any of those who have applied qualify in that. That would show that they have some interest in that stuff.
On 07/09/2015 10:20, Jim Thomas wrote:

Interest in stuff has no bearing on their ability to learn. The problem with adams apprentii is that that either are thick and/or the teaching is lacking. From past experience I know many kids appear to be thick and unable or unwilling to learn. These are the ones that end up on government funded training so if adams are those the results are as expected.
On Mon, 7 Sep 2015 10:33:00 +0100, dennis@home

That cannot be right! I would say it is at the very least a prerequisite

Most kids at 16 have no idea in life what they want to do other than getting a shag.
There are worse things in life than trying for an apprenticeship and giving your best efforts to succeed.
--
Adam

I often take the ones that were unwilling or unable to learn in a school enviroment into the real world and teach them.
It is very satisfying when they pass.
--
Adam

Q. Does the teaching always need always be about electrics?
There is no point IMHO in having a highly talented electrical apprentice if he cannot behave in an appropriate manner in a clients house/office/school/shop/hospital/place of worship - or anywhere else I might work [1].
So the first lesson is one about real life and manners and not electrics.
[1] Maybe not the morgue or a slaughterhouse in their first week.
--
Adam

Which is one you haven't learned, you who do not have the courtesy to text your employee to tell him that he is not needed tomorrow morning.
--
Les

posted

Was needed in the morning. Just not at 5am.
--
Adam

wrote

"Fresh meat" means they are on a two week trial. They are not apprentices.
If found guilty at the end of their trial then they get 4 years hard labour along with all their courses paid for, proper training (not just electrics) and a chance in less than 2 years to be earning more than their mates, who when leaving school took of to the the ASDA distribuition center to stock shelves.
A typical apprentice starting his 3rd year will usually be on £5.50 per hour depending on their ability.
--
Adam

wrote

OK, but it should be easier to detect that last much quicker than with a two week trial and wasting that much of your time.
Corse I spose it can be seen as providing you with a bit of sport and light entertainment too and stopping you from going out on your own and not being able to afford to have a bit of sport like that so often. Sort of a fringe benefit that they don't have to pay tax on etc.

> A typical apprentice starting his 3rd year will usually

Sure, wasn't arguing about that bit, just wondering why the operation you work for wasn't a bit more selective about who they have for the 2 weeks trial. That one looks like he is a complete waste of time and money, tho I spose there might be a few who are that superficially useless who might be found to be quite educable and I guess it also depends on what the rest of the potential candidates were like too.
On Monday, 7 September 2015 22:25:39 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

nd

es.

Well here at uni people get 1 month Lecturing staff 3-6 months or a term 't rial' although it's called something else, probationary period, you've got to use longer words here to make it sound more important an impressive than lesser places %-). I guess in some jobs 5 mins is all you need to suss out an employees unsefu lness, but sometimes it may take a little longer. One might be really good at bricklaying but hopless at threading wires and connecting. So getting to know their individual skills and developing them is usually a good idea and worth doing but you might not find this on miniute one or da y one or even week one.

Isn;t that reffered to as a perk of the job, some recieve millions in extra pay or share options, some get sex.

plenty of people have that polititions get extra houses.

An interesting question, but it depends where they get them from if it's th e job centre and the like A4E you can guarantee they'll send you someone th at has no interest in the job(s). This way they can keep claiming they are fionding people jobs, the mmore people leave those jobs the more they have to fill so it looks as though they are doing a good job of placements.

Sure, but its harder to work out whether those are useful than it is to work out whether a potential apprentice knows more about eclectics than his cat does.

Plenty of lesser places call it that now.

And trivially easy to see if a particular individual knows more about electrics than his cat does.
And only a little harder to check if they will do what they are told.

But doesn't take 2 weeks with a candidate apprentice.

Its unlikely that you'd care about the bricklaying capability of a candidate electrical apprentice.

Yes, but with a potential electrical apprentice, it makes sense to not bother with those who know less about electrics than a cat does unless you are desperate for apprentices.
Certainly worth having a 2 week trial, but better to not bother with those who know less about electrics than a cat does.

Yes, that's what I meant.

And Adam gets to rev up apprentices, and the operation he works for doesn't even have to pay tax on that.

Sure, but you are clearly free to work out who those are and tell them to fuck off when they show up rather than wasting your time giving them a 2 week trial.
Adam clearly said that some were essentially told to fuck off when they applied.

On Tuesday, 8 September 2015 12:15:24 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

ork

es.
I'm not sure that's true. When a lectures job is advertised it's very specific in what's reqired to d o the job, and we wouldn;t employ someone without the relivant qaulificatio ns. And it goes even further pages of things to look for in the applicant. Here's an example. https://webapps2.is.qmul.ac.uk/jobs/job.action?jobRef=QMUL6571
Applicants should have a PhD or equivalent professional experience and have a strong background through achievement in Electronic Engineering or Compu ter Science.
Without the neccessary qualifications they wouldn't even get an interview. If you have to get people from teh job cnetre or those govenrment shemes you should count yourself lucky to get someone with a pluse, can walk and t alk and think without the aid of a mobile. But don't expect all those crite rai to be met.

See we are good educators :)

Well you'd have to know bot only him but his cat too.

So why does it take longer with higher end staff. For a politician it takes 4-5 years. On things like the X-factor or BGT then it takes les than a minute to work it out.

Then only employ an electrical apprentice. There's a whole program with apprentices, but most people can work out that not all apprentices are teh same or have the same intere sts and work skills. Here we call these sorts of people trainees rather than apprentices. I see it as pretty much the same thing but perhaps there are subtle differe ncies.

Why would I call someone that knows less than a cat about electrical things an electrical apprentice.

I know lots of people like that they are called namagers.

Ah good so there's nothing wroing with perks then is there ;-)

Well educational is vat exempt, althouth we when I order HAVE to pay VAT. The admin claims it back and keeps it.

pretty poor pay after 3 years.
Our scales start at scale 1 at £9.20 an hour as a starting point. Even the cleaners and maintance people can start at that point even those t ermed unskilled. avaible for these roles Technical, Operational, Profession al scale 53 is the highest at £35 per hour but that's not availbe to Techni cal staff, you'll probbaly need a Phd and 15 years experience and have writ ten a book or two and had work published in some journals.

I assume if you get someone from the job centre and are told to employ them for a time that's what you have to do.

told to fuck off by who is the important point. A4E will tell a companpany to employ someone for X amount of time usually in weeks not miniutes, for that A4E get paid a fortune about £3k per job, they couldn;t care less who they send for which job it's money ion their p ockets.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk/a4e